Power News We love to talk!
Power deficit Uttar Pradesh would soon get an investment of about Rs 880 crore in solar power projects totalling 110 Megawatt (Mw).
UP is targetting 500 Mw of solar energy by 2017 under its Solar Power Policy 2013.
Last year, the government had signed power purchase agreements (PPA) with developers on rates ranging from Rs 8.01/unit to Rs 9.33/unit.
A typical solar power plant requires investment of Rs 8 crore per Mw of installed capacity. Initially, the power tariffs of a plant is quite high, however, over a period of time, it would become cheaper for the state.
The developers include, Essel Infraprojects (50 Mw), Moser Baer Clean Energy (20 Mw), Azure Surya (10 Mw), Refex Energy (10 Mw), D K Infracon (10 Mw) and Jackson Power (10 Mw).
In August 2013, the government had issued letters of intent to companies, wherein they were stipulated to complete solar energy project in 13 months, preferably in the arid Bundelkhand region to avail of additional sop of freewheeling in of power to grid.
The nodal agency for these solar projects is UP New and Renewable Energy Development Agency.
UP faces power demand-supply gap of about 20 per cent and is now upgrading its power generation, transmission and distribution infrastructure to meet future energy needs.
UP minister of state for alternative energy Vijay Kumar Mishra had already directed companies to complete land-related formalities by March 31 and secure financial closure of the project by June 30,2014 for the solar energy generation to start from January 2015.
Since solar power plants now don't require environment clearance, the projects are sped up.
UPNEDA is also working on other clean energy projects spanning hydro and wind segments. A hydro power project needs Rs 7-8 crore investment per Mw, which is more than required for thermal project.
However, there are no running costs for hydro power.
- IOCL to join hands with Chhattisgarh for "total energy solution" Read more
- TN to finalise solar energy policy soon Read more
- Welspun to source 100 MW solar module from Solar Frontier Read more
- Double taxation is a deterrent to gas swapping between power producers Read more
- Electricity for all houses by 2022: Modi Read more
- Indo-Nepal oil pipeline foundation within a week : Ambassador Ranjit Rae Read more
- Vibrant Gujarat MoUs to touch Rs 30 lakh crore-mark Read more
- Startups in India to get Rs 320 cr booster shot, courtesy oil companies, but there is a catch Read more
- APTEL upholds Sasan projects COD Read more
- Govt plans to rope in 50k to man solar plants Read more