Power News We love to talk!
Iron ore miner NMDCBSE -0.10 % has almost completed due diligence for a thermal coal mine in Indonesia owned by Shree Renuka Sugars , which it plans to buy primarily for trading purposes.
"Due diligence on the asset owned by Indonesian stock exchange listed PT Renuka Coalindo Tbk is almost finished and the report is likely to come by the end of the current month," a senior NMDC official told PTI.
After evaluating the due diligence report, officials of the state-owned company will visit the mine in Jambi province of Sumatra for a first-hand assessment and based on their feedback, a decision on the acquisition will be taken, he said.
Shree Renuka Energy, a Shree Renuka Group company, owns the mine through its listed subsidiary PT Renuka Coalindo Tbk.
The concession for the Jambi Prima Coal Mine, spread over 1,000 hectares, was acquired by the company in 2008 and production started in April 2010.
According to Shree Renuka Energy's website, it is one of the largest coal mines in the Jambi region, with resources of 120 million tonnes. Current production of 1 million tonnes of coal per annum is expected to be ramped up to 5 million tonnes a year by FY17.
"NMDC does not need thermal coal at this point of time. The acquisition is mainly for trading purposes and not for internal consumption. India needs a lot of thermal coal. The acquisition is aimed at minimising the supply deficit," the official said.
However, the company may use coal from the mine after its proposed 500-MW power plant in Uttar Pradesh goes on stream in about three years. NMDC has been allocated thermal coal mines to feed these plants.
India's coal imports may rise to 185 million tonnes by 2017 amid a widening demand-supply deficit, according to the draft paper of the Planning Commission for the 12th five-year Plan.
- Gamesa wins repeat orders from Hero Future Energies Read more
- Australian solar firm sign agreements with 2 Indian power companies Read more
- States blocked coal auction plan: Centre Read more
- Queensland govt supports USD 16.5 billion coal mine project: Adani Read more
- ACME commissions 100 MW solar plant in Rajasthan Read more
- LM Wind Power sets up EUR 25-mn turbine blade plant in Halol Read more
- Coal India achieves 93% of output target during April-November Read more
- IOC plans to upgrade capacity of Doimukh depot Read more
- ReNew Power doubles capacity to 2 GW in a year Read more
- Oil near $109, heads for weekly loss on Libya, Syria Read more