Power News We love to talk!
The AP Power Generation Corporation (APGenco) has finally concluded the agreement with the Power Company of Karnataka Limited on sharing power generated from the Priyadarshini Jurala Hydel project.
APGenco officials signed the Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) with their Karnataka counterparts in Bangalore on Monday. The PPA has been long overdue. But the timing of signing the agreement , with barely a fortnight left for the new State of Telangana to come into existence, has raised doubts.
The PPA will enable Karnataka to draw around 182 million units of power from the project, which has an installed capacity of 234 MW. Karnataka, in return, has agreed to bear half the cost of construction of the power block, which at the time of the signing of the agreement between Devraj Urs and Marri Channa Reddy in 1978, was estimated at Rs. 142 crore. Accordingly, the Karnataka power utility was expected to pay Rs. 71 crore for the construction of the power block.
The project, however, was hit by cost overruns owing to the delay in its completion. This resulted in huge expenditure on the part of APGenco but the agreement with Karnataka was not revised accordingly, resulting in a controversy. According to sources, APGenco had spent around Rs. 800 crore for the construction of the power block. This would mean that Karnataka needs to repay close to Rs. 400 crore to the power utility. But the new PPA finds no mention of this and the quantum received from Karnataka remains Rs. 70 crore.
APGenco Managing Director K. Vijayanand, however, denied that the agreement was signed in a hurry. "The process has been continuing since over a year now," he told The Hindu .
- Mahanadi Coalfields, Odisha Mining Corp yet to pay off Rs 1,389 cr mining royalty Read more
- Russias Rosatom may acquire wind power projects in India Read more
- India Power completes acquisition of Meenakshi Energy, plans to invest Rs. 3500 cr for setting up plant in Bengal Read more
- Haryana plans to set up 660 MW plant at Yamunanagar Read more
- Green bonds can potentially fund renewable energy, says CRISIL report Read more
- UERC directed the UPCL to avoid recurrence of discrepancies in the future filings/petitions regarding the approval of PPA for the procurement of power from Grid Interactive Rooftop, Small PV & under Third Part Model Read more
- AAP government targeting 1,000 MW of solar power generation: Satyendar Jain Read more
- KK Wind Solutions of Denmark enters India Read more
- Wind power auction success is bittersweet news for Suzlon, Inox Wind Read more
- Tata Power Renewable Energy commissions 100 MW wind farm in Andhra Pradesh Read more