Power News We love to talk!
The shortage of power in Uttar Pradesh, especially in smaller towns, is a key reason for the muted growth of the air conditioner (AC) market in the state. Low frequency of power supply is another factor contributing to the stunted growth of the market.
"The quantity and quality of power supply have a strong impact on the AC segment in any region," consumer electronics major Carrier Midea India Managing Director Krishan Sachdev told Business Standard here.
He said the Uttar Pradesh government had unveiled major plans for augmenting power supply in the next couple of years. "I am confident that the AC market would grow exponentially in Uttar Pradesh concomitant to the improvement in the quantum and quality of power supply."
Uttar Pradesh is targetting to provide 22 hours power in all urban areas and 16 hours in the rural areas by 2016-end, with augmented power availability through different sources.
Carrier had clocked 40 percent growth in the AC segment during 2014, compared to just 15 odd per cent in eastern Uttar Pradesh.
"We are expanding our retail footprint in India. Now, we have a sales network of 2,000 outlets, up from 1,100 last year," Sachdev said.
Meanwhile, the window AC segment is giving way to split AC, though window AC continues to hold strong in north India. "North India accounts for almost 40-45 per cent of the window AC sales. Collectively, North India comprises 35 per cent of the total AC sales in the country," Sachdev said.
After 2010, when the AC segment posted good numbers, 2014 has so far been fairly good for the market.
- PM launches mega scheme to give 5 crore gas connections free to BPL families Read more
- BPCL to bag 'Maharatna' status in FY16 Read more
- Tata Power Renewable Energy commissions solar plant in Karnataka Read more
- AP Transco seeks exit proposal from Reliance Power on KUMPP project Read more
- Freeing up energy Read more
- Coal scam: High Court extends bail of RSPL officials Read more
- Modi interacts with Solar Mamas in Tanzania Read more
- Indias coal reserves could remain unused in future: Minister Piyush Goyal Read more
- Yet another oil leak in north Chennai Read more
- Adanis rope in ex-Tata Power head Anil Sardana to head transmission arm Read more