Coal News We love to talk!
The Government will sell stake in state-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) this fiscal even though falling global oil prices pose a challenge, Oil Minister Dharmendra Pradhan today said.
The Government was to sell 5 per cent of its stake in the country's biggest oil and gas producer ONGC to raise Rs. 17,000-18,000 crore.
But the double impact of tumbling global oil prices and the rising subsidy burden has left the ONGC stock battered.
Its share has slipped from Rs. 472 in June last year to Rs. 352.90 (at 1215 pm today). At current price, the Government will get about Rs. 15,000 crore.
"We will factor in market conditions before disinvestment," Pradhan told reporters on the sidelines of the India Energy Congress here.
Pradhan said that the stake sale in ONGC was very much on the list of disinvestment candidates for the current fiscal.
While slumping oil prices make the prospects of stake sale in ONGC grimmer, the Government has lined-up four other state-run firms - Indian Oil Corporation (IOC), Bharat Heavy Electricals (BHEL), National Aluminium (Nalco), and Dredging Corporation (DCIL) for disinvestment this fiscal.
It plans to sell 10 per cent stake in IOC as well as Nalco, and 5 per cent stake each in BHEL and DCIL.
The Government, Pradhan said, was reworking the subsidy sharing formula. "The oil prices pose a challenge (for ONGC)," he said.
- EV scene still sketchy, key is affordability: Bhargava Read more
- More reforms await gas sector, trading hub in making, says Dharmendra Pradhan Read more
- India is said to cut imports of Iranian oil to zero in November Read more
- Oil stocks slide along with crude price Read more
- HPL closure paves way for other petro majors to tap east Read more
- Hero MotoCorp to focus more on BS-VI than EV launch for now Read more
- ONGC drilling of HTHP fields will take time Read more
- Oil regulator cancels GAILs Surat-Paradip pipeline licence Read more
- NEEPCO IPO likely in Jan-Mar quarter; FinMin appoints merchant bankers Read more
- Direct transfer of Rs 187 cr made to LPG users so far Read more