Power News We love to talk!
Fair trade watchdog CCI has rejected Brihan Mumbai Electric Supply and Transport's (BEST) complaint that Tata Power indulged in anti-competitive practices with regard to transmission of electricity.
BEST is an undertaking of the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai.
Rejecting the complaint, CCI said there is no "prima facie" evidence that Tata Power violated competition norms."It appears from the facts of the case that the informant is aggrieved by the alleged anti-competitive conduct of the opposite party (Tata Power) in the transmission of electricity to it and unilaterally shutting down the transmission points which transmits electricity to the informant.
"Thus, the issue pertains to transmission of electricity only," Competition Commission of India (CCI) said in its order order dated January 29.
BEST also has the licence to distribute electricity only in the island city of Mumbai (the area from Colaba upto Mahim and Sion) and has no operation elsewhere.
In this case, "services of transmission of electricity in the city of Mumbai," has been considered as the relevant market.
BEST had also alleged that since it is a competitor as well as a consumer, Tata Power intentionally abused its dominant position by unilaterally putting a brake on the electricity supply to it Informant on September 2, 2014 which caused serious load shedding within the island city of Mumbai.
It was also alleged that Tata Power has been responsible for developing the said constraints in transmission network to create a monopolistic market for its generation business."Having perused the material on record, the Commission is of the view that the same are not sufficient to prove this allegation," CCI said in the order.
- Amplus to invest Rs 90 crore in Walmarts rooftop solar plants Read more
- ONGC Videsh seeks tax parity with ExxonMobil Read more
- 14-hour power cut leaves patients sleepless Read more
- Save The Earth: 'Recent catastrophes in Kashmir are actually natural man-made disasters' Read more
- 92% Indians perceive climate change as a major threat: Survey Read more
- BHEL sees uptick in order flow Read more
- PGC arm Vizag Transmission issues five-year bonds at 8.9% Read more
- Soon, local sourcing will be must for oil contracts Read more
- RERC rejects CVSs petition challenging PPAs/LoIs signed by RRVPNL through Case-I bidding Read more
- India's coal imports declined 6.3 per cent to 192 million tonne last financial year Read more