Power News We love to talk!
Fair trade watchdog CCI has rejected Brihan Mumbai Electric Supply and Transport's (BEST) complaint that Tata Power indulged in anti-competitive practices with regard to transmission of electricity.
BEST is an undertaking of the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai.
Rejecting the complaint, CCI said there is no "prima facie" evidence that Tata Power violated competition norms."It appears from the facts of the case that the informant is aggrieved by the alleged anti-competitive conduct of the opposite party (Tata Power) in the transmission of electricity to it and unilaterally shutting down the transmission points which transmits electricity to the informant.
"Thus, the issue pertains to transmission of electricity only," Competition Commission of India (CCI) said in its order order dated January 29.
BEST also has the licence to distribute electricity only in the island city of Mumbai (the area from Colaba upto Mahim and Sion) and has no operation elsewhere.
In this case, "services of transmission of electricity in the city of Mumbai," has been considered as the relevant market.
BEST had also alleged that since it is a competitor as well as a consumer, Tata Power intentionally abused its dominant position by unilaterally putting a brake on the electricity supply to it Informant on September 2, 2014 which caused serious load shedding within the island city of Mumbai.
It was also alleged that Tata Power has been responsible for developing the said constraints in transmission network to create a monopolistic market for its generation business."Having perused the material on record, the Commission is of the view that the same are not sufficient to prove this allegation," CCI said in the order.
- NLC to acquire DVCs Ragunathpur Thermal Power plant Read more
- Kapil Dev Tripathi takes over as Oil Secretary Read more
- 2MW solar panels to power WR suburban stations in 6 months Read more
- Mahagenco Pophali station CE suspended for posting obscene picture Read more
- Riders to Tata Power compensation Read more
- Tata Power completes acquisition of WREPL Read more
- India exploring merger of state-owned hydropower PSUs Read more
- Rajasthan: RERC Draft Solar Tariff Policy for FY 2014-15 Read more
- 13,872 villages electrified till June 30, says Union Minister PiyushGoyal Read more
- MERC rejects APMLs request for netting off power consumed for start-up activities of Tiroda TPS Read more