Power News We love to talk!
Actis Capital, the global private equity firm, is committing $230 million to create an Indian renewable energy platform under the name of Ostro Energy. Actis has hired Ranjit Gupta as chief executive officer (CEO) of the platform.
Ostro Energy's first project,Tejuva, a 50.4 Mw wind project, is under construction in the Jaisalmer district of Rajasthan. On completion, the platform aims to provide 800 Mw of energy across several Indian states by 2019, Actis said. Developed by wind turbine supplier Suzlon Energy, the site has been in development for more than four years. The project has achieved financial closure and is expected to achieve completion by mid-2015.
Ostro Energy is the fifth energy platform that Actis has created globally, following Globeleq Meso America in Central America, Zuma Energia in Mexico, Aela Energia in Chile and Atlantic Renovaveis in Brazil. Since 2002, Actis has invested in excess of $1.9 billion in 27 energy transactions, across 21 countries.
Torbjorn Caesar, partner and co head of energy at Actis, said: "With shortages of coal and gas, plus the environmental and social challenges associated with hydro and thermal projects, renewable energy is fast becoming critical to the energy supply equation in India."
Ranjit Gupta, CEO of Ostro Energy, said: "Tejuva is a significant first step in helping Ostro Energy achieve its objective of becoming a leading wind power company in India."
- New Coal Bill extends blanket protection to govt officials Read more
- Order allowing injection of infirm power for testing including full load testing up to declaration of commercial operation of Units 51, 52 and 53 of DGEN Mega Power Project Read more
- India's Iran oil jumps by a fifth in February from January Read more
- India says producers can sell coal bed methane at market rate Read more
- UJALA will be implemented across country by 2019: Piyush Goyal Read more
- Indias solar prices set to drop amid competition, lower costs Read more
- Adani Power to sign deal to build $2 billion plant in Jharkhand: Sources Read more
- Reliance starts CBM gas production from two blocks in Madhya Pradesh Read more
- Suzlon seeks more time for foreign bond repayment Read more
- Tamil Nadu power minister to lead a team to Delhi to discuss UDAY Read more