Power News We love to talk!
The All India Congress Committee General Secretary and former Union Minister for State V. Narayanasamy said the Congress would hold an agitation against the proposed electricity tariff hike and anti-people rule of the All India NR Congress government. The agitation would also be aimed to unearth irregularities in the Electricity Department.
Stating that the Rangasamy government has hiked electricity tariff six times in two years, Mr. Narayanasamy said under these circumstances, Joint Electricity Regulatory Commission which is going on next week will hear a plea for another hike from the government next week.
"The proposed tariff hike will hit the public severely. Industries will go sick and unemployment will rise," Mr. Narayanasamy said.
He pointed out that Congress and other political parties conducted a series of protests against the tariff hike implemented earlier but the government turned a deaf ear. He claimed that tariffs for domestic and industrial connections were very low during Congress rule compared to other States. When he was Union Minister for State, he took up the scarcity of power with then Union Power Minister and facilitated the Union Territory to get 200 MW from Central Grid. Hence, the Union Territory was having surplus power. However for the past four years, unannounced power cuts have been implemented forcing people to take to the streets in protest.
Alleging irregularities in procurement of electric meters, CFL bulbs and transformers from Tamil Nadu, Mr. Narayanasamy said there is non-availability of transformers, bulbs, cables and poles in the Electricity Department and faulty transformers were not attended to.
`The tariff hike will hit the public severely. Industries will go sick and unemployment will rise'
- CERC to shortly finalise orders in Tata, Adani cases Read more
- Capital cost of GVK plant raised by Rs 67 cr Read more
- Suzlon makes solar foray, to set up 210-MW capacity in Telangana Read more
- India to influence global energy markets: IEA Read more
- Committee finalises methodology for coal linkage auctions Read more
- MSTC to offer e-auction platform for power purchase agreements Read more
- How Havells is transforming from an electrical goods maker into a consumer durables brand Read more
- Ashok Varma appointed Director (Onshore), ONGC Read more
- Gas price hike to add Rs 1,950 crore to ONGC profits this fiscal Read more
- Gujarat may take over Tata, Adani, Essar power plants Read more