Coal News We love to talk!
The Mangaluru-based Kanara Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KCCI) has requested the Union Petroleum Ministry to set up LNG handling infrastructure at New Mangalore Port.
A delegation of KCCI, led by its president Nigam Vasani, met the Union Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Gas, Dharmendra Pradhan, during his recent visit to Mangaluru and made a plea in this regard.
Vasani said that the proposal for setting up of an LNG terminal at New Mangalore Port has been pending for over a decade.
Requesting the government to sanction a floating storage regasification unit (FSRU) to handle LNG at New Mangalore Port, he said the economic justification is already established for this.
There is a demand for over 5 million tonnes of LNG in the vicinity for Karnataka. In fact, the coastal districts of Dakshina Kannada and Udupi in Karnataka have a demand of 2.5 million tonnes. Karnataka, which has no energy resources of its own, requires special attention, he said.
Stressing on the need for importing methane-rich LNG, Vasani said methane can be used as feedstock for fertilizers and clean power.
Pradhan had hinted at strengthening LNG network in Mangaluru during his recent visit to the city. He had mentioned that the Centre is discussing with the Kerala government for laying a gas pipeline between Kochi and Mangaluru.
- Unruly scenes in Kerala Assembly over solar panel scam Read more
- Gujarat mulls upgrading old power plants Read more
- Investment in renewable energy totalled Rs. 86,000 crore in last three years: Goyal Read more
- Ashutosh Karnatak is Mahanagar Gas' new chairman Read more
- No final decision on scrapping SPVs for four UMPPs: Govt Read more
- Away from OBOR, India pushing for 'energy diplomacy' in neighborhood Read more
- High Court gives a week to file affidavit on petrol pumps without NOCs Read more
- Commission Issues ModelPPA for Solar for the State of AP & Telangana Read more
- Coal India's new pricing policy to cut power generation cost Read more
- Power outage points to a dark summer Read more