Power News We love to talk!
The State has added about 180 MW to its existing wind energy capacity during the last 12 months, taking the total installed wind energy capacity to 7,480 MW.
K. Kasthurirangan, chairman of India Wind Power Association, told The Hindu on Thursday that less than 100 MW was added in the State during the previous year (2013-2014) since the Centre had withdrawn the accelerated depreciation scheme. The programme was beneficial to small-scale investors in the wind energy sector.
The scheme was reintroduced only in October last year and since then, wind mill investors have started looking at the sector again. “I am sure that installations will go up in the current financial year (2015-2016),” he said.
Though capacity additions had slowed down in Tamil Nadu compared to some of the other States, investors will start installing wind mills now. The scheme was reintroduced just six months ago and the investors needed time to place orders and for the projects to be implemented, he said.
Tamil Nadu had the highest installed wind energy capacity in the country. Several industries had gone in for wind energy for captive use. The investors had faced issues related to evacuation of wind power during the peak wind season. Talks and efforts were on now to find a solution to the evacuation problem.
- Land-rich Suzlon Energy looking at EPC contracts in solar power segment Read more
- Essar seeks to hedge oil risks with Russian crude Read more
- Coal India ready for conciliation as unions threaten strike Read more
- Banks stare at $38 billion new dud loans from power sector: Report Read more
- Renewable Energy Certificates trading on India Energy Exchange surges 550% on SC verdict Read more
- Survey soon to tap states solar power potential Read more
- Suzlon bags 58.8 MW project in Madhya Pradesh Read more
- Cars vandalised, roads blocked as Bengal power grid stir intensifies Read more
- BHELs Raichur Power project turns costlier by Rs. 3,760 crore Read more
- UN official Kandeh Yumkella meets M Venkaiah Naidu, pitches for solar power promotion Read more