Power News We love to talk!
Coimbatore Corporation has sent a proposal to the State Government to build a waste-to-energy plant that will help it dispose of 450 tonnes dry waste a day.
According to sources, the proposal was made keeping in mind the burden the waste processing facility in Vellalore faced: though designed for processing around 450 tonnes waste a day, the facility processed around 850 tonnes a day now.
The sources say that in the next few months the quantity of waste will touch 1,000 tonnes.
Therefore, the civic body has planned to set up the waste-to-energy plant. It will be designed in such a way that it will generate around nine MW power a day, which the civic body will sell, perhaps to the Tangedco.
The Corporation will take the dry waste to the Vellalore facility, use the combustible waste to generate power.
For doing so, the civic body will have go ahead and sustain its door-to-door segregated collection of waste, the sources say.
Civic activists and waste management experts say this proposal may jeopardise the civic body’s efforts in letting the conservancy workers enjoy the money obtained by selling the recyclable dry waste as the dry waste will have to be sent to the proposed plant to generate power.
The sources say that the civic body will work around it in such a way that the conservancy workers get money for segregating and sending the combustible items to the plant and not the recyclers.
They also say that the Corporation will create a special purpose vehicle to establish and run the plant for a certain period.
The proposal may jeopardise the civic body’s efforts in letting the conservancy workers enjoy the money obtained by selling the recyclable dry waste: civic activists
- Green Tribunal rejects plea against Jaitapur Nuclear project Read more
- APTEL order gives relief to Renewable Energy Generators in Maharashtra Read more
- Coal imports up 10 per cent in September as power plants face fuel shortage Read more
- Can shale power India? Read more
- Solar power for fuel station Read more
- Solar industry seeks clarity, relief in safeguard duty in Budget 2018 Read more
- Maharashtra mulls equity offer to NTPC in its genco Read more
- Green energy targets clear in mind, but is India technology-ready? Read more
- Bajaj Hindusthan to seek shareholders' nod to sell power business Read more
- Centre sanctions coal linkage to SSTPS's 2nd phase Read more