Power News We love to talk!
The city might be getting the much-needed makeover ahead of Global Investors’ Meet, but residents in some suburbs have been spending sleepless nights owing to erratic power supply. Soaring daytime temperature, coupled with hour-long power outages, have made life miserable for residents of the southern suburbs for the past one week.
Residents say that unscheduled power cuts range between an hour and eight hours, depriving them of peaceful sleep. On Tuesday, residents of Rajakilpakkam, Kamararajapuram, Gowriwakkam, Sembakkam, Madambakkam and Selaiyur did not get power supply for more than three hours, owing to a technical breakdown in one of the supplying mains at the Madambakkam substation.
A transformer fault on Rajaji Nagar Main Road in Selaiyur on Tuesday left the residents a weary lot and it was restored only by noon on Wednesday. Similarly, Kolathur, Ponmar, Madurapakkam, Venkatamangalam and Mambakkam went without power supply till Monday morning.
S. Rajagopalan of Thiruvanchery said that during the past week, the power disruptions could have been avoided had Tangedco undertaken ‘proper maintenance’ of their installations. A spike in demand is primarily responsible for the tripping power in the city, officials said. A senior Tangedco official said that the continued increase in temperatures had resulted in heavy use of air-conditioners. Efforts were underway to strengthen the feeder network, which would address problems in power distribution, he added.
- Essar Energy borrows $300 million from Export-Import Bank of China Read more
- State-run discoms take lessons from private firms to trim losses Read more
- TANGEDCO plans solar park at Naripaiyur and nearby villages Read more
- CERC: Staff paper on "Improvement of Market Efficiency by information dissemination through display of Aggregate Demand and Supply Day Ahead curves by Power Exchanges Read more
- Himachal govt seeks Rs 2,700 cr damages from Brakel Corp Read more
- Chandigarh beats Punjab in distribution of energy saving LED lights Read more
- Rate rise done, BSES assures no power cuts Read more
- Kalpataru Power Transmission bags orders worth Rs 901 crore Read more
- BERC directs SLDC to provide open access to Shree Cements Read more
- CERC approves transmission charges for MSETCLs inter-state transmission lines Read more