Power News We love to talk!
The city might be getting the much-needed makeover ahead of Global Investors’ Meet, but residents in some suburbs have been spending sleepless nights owing to erratic power supply. Soaring daytime temperature, coupled with hour-long power outages, have made life miserable for residents of the southern suburbs for the past one week.
Residents say that unscheduled power cuts range between an hour and eight hours, depriving them of peaceful sleep. On Tuesday, residents of Rajakilpakkam, Kamararajapuram, Gowriwakkam, Sembakkam, Madambakkam and Selaiyur did not get power supply for more than three hours, owing to a technical breakdown in one of the supplying mains at the Madambakkam substation.
A transformer fault on Rajaji Nagar Main Road in Selaiyur on Tuesday left the residents a weary lot and it was restored only by noon on Wednesday. Similarly, Kolathur, Ponmar, Madurapakkam, Venkatamangalam and Mambakkam went without power supply till Monday morning.
S. Rajagopalan of Thiruvanchery said that during the past week, the power disruptions could have been avoided had Tangedco undertaken ‘proper maintenance’ of their installations. A spike in demand is primarily responsible for the tripping power in the city, officials said. A senior Tangedco official said that the continued increase in temperatures had resulted in heavy use of air-conditioners. Efforts were underway to strengthen the feeder network, which would address problems in power distribution, he added.
- ReNew Power Ventures raises Rs 500 crore through green bonds Read more
- Green certificates sales on power exchanges up 42 per cent in April Read more
- Power tariffs may jump as generators push up quotes Read more
- Telangana to spend Rs 38,000 crores for three power projects Read more
- ReNew Power to invest Rs 13,000 crore in Andhra Pradesh, to employ 4,000 people Read more
- Wind power tariffs may hit a new low of Rs3.30 per unit Read more
- Industry bears cost of keeping power tariffs low for households; heres why regulators want to stop that Read more
- Rajasthan discom pulled up on 'Unofficial' power cuts Read more
- Power regulators' forum to conduct study on tariff models Read more
- Proposal to import coal for Neyveli Lignite Corporation's thermal power proj in Uttar Pradesh Read more