Power News We love to talk!
The city might be getting the much-needed makeover ahead of Global Investors’ Meet, but residents in some suburbs have been spending sleepless nights owing to erratic power supply. Soaring daytime temperature, coupled with hour-long power outages, have made life miserable for residents of the southern suburbs for the past one week.
Residents say that unscheduled power cuts range between an hour and eight hours, depriving them of peaceful sleep. On Tuesday, residents of Rajakilpakkam, Kamararajapuram, Gowriwakkam, Sembakkam, Madambakkam and Selaiyur did not get power supply for more than three hours, owing to a technical breakdown in one of the supplying mains at the Madambakkam substation.
A transformer fault on Rajaji Nagar Main Road in Selaiyur on Tuesday left the residents a weary lot and it was restored only by noon on Wednesday. Similarly, Kolathur, Ponmar, Madurapakkam, Venkatamangalam and Mambakkam went without power supply till Monday morning.
S. Rajagopalan of Thiruvanchery said that during the past week, the power disruptions could have been avoided had Tangedco undertaken ‘proper maintenance’ of their installations. A spike in demand is primarily responsible for the tripping power in the city, officials said. A senior Tangedco official said that the continued increase in temperatures had resulted in heavy use of air-conditioners. Efforts were underway to strengthen the feeder network, which would address problems in power distribution, he added.
- Coal India supply to power sector drop 3.6% to 288 MT in April-December Read more
- Power Grid to commission Rs 12,000-crore Assam-Agra line by month-end Read more
- CBM pricing: DGH endorses RIL's formula Read more
- State government initiative to make Arunachal organic state Read more
- Industry bodies welcome withdrawal of power cut from June 1 Read more
- Bihar completes 100% electrification two months before deadline Read more
- Discoms set to be penalised for load-shedding; regulators to decide quantum Read more
- Power demand may be lower by 15% for five years starting FY18 Read more
- French energy giant Engie seeks new partner as alliance with Abraaj Group ends Read more
- I-T Dept searches offices, factory of Godawari Power & Ispat Read more