Power News We love to talk!
The city might be getting the much-needed makeover ahead of Global Investors’ Meet, but residents in some suburbs have been spending sleepless nights owing to erratic power supply. Soaring daytime temperature, coupled with hour-long power outages, have made life miserable for residents of the southern suburbs for the past one week.
Residents say that unscheduled power cuts range between an hour and eight hours, depriving them of peaceful sleep. On Tuesday, residents of Rajakilpakkam, Kamararajapuram, Gowriwakkam, Sembakkam, Madambakkam and Selaiyur did not get power supply for more than three hours, owing to a technical breakdown in one of the supplying mains at the Madambakkam substation.
A transformer fault on Rajaji Nagar Main Road in Selaiyur on Tuesday left the residents a weary lot and it was restored only by noon on Wednesday. Similarly, Kolathur, Ponmar, Madurapakkam, Venkatamangalam and Mambakkam went without power supply till Monday morning.
S. Rajagopalan of Thiruvanchery said that during the past week, the power disruptions could have been avoided had Tangedco undertaken ‘proper maintenance’ of their installations. A spike in demand is primarily responsible for the tripping power in the city, officials said. A senior Tangedco official said that the continued increase in temperatures had resulted in heavy use of air-conditioners. Efforts were underway to strengthen the feeder network, which would address problems in power distribution, he added.
- Four PSUs pool in Rs 45,000 cr for nuclear power projects Read more
- Order passed by APERC in the matter related to determination of tariff to take effect on completion of 10 years from date of commissioning of the wind based power projects Read more
- Centre to allot 1,000 MW to southern grid in one week Read more
- NTPC to supply 335 MW more from Simhadri project Read more
- PSPCL to buy short-term power due to demand-supply gap Read more
- State power utilities meet near full energy demand Read more
- NTPC eyes entry in Indias electric vehicles segment Read more
- NTPC board approves investment proposal for Madhya Pradesh plant Read more
- No shortage of coal; 23 days stock available for power plants Read more
- Coal price pooling: CEA favours 15-20% blending Read more