Power News We love to talk!
The city might be getting the much-needed makeover ahead of Global Investors’ Meet, but residents in some suburbs have been spending sleepless nights owing to erratic power supply. Soaring daytime temperature, coupled with hour-long power outages, have made life miserable for residents of the southern suburbs for the past one week.
Residents say that unscheduled power cuts range between an hour and eight hours, depriving them of peaceful sleep. On Tuesday, residents of Rajakilpakkam, Kamararajapuram, Gowriwakkam, Sembakkam, Madambakkam and Selaiyur did not get power supply for more than three hours, owing to a technical breakdown in one of the supplying mains at the Madambakkam substation.
A transformer fault on Rajaji Nagar Main Road in Selaiyur on Tuesday left the residents a weary lot and it was restored only by noon on Wednesday. Similarly, Kolathur, Ponmar, Madurapakkam, Venkatamangalam and Mambakkam went without power supply till Monday morning.
S. Rajagopalan of Thiruvanchery said that during the past week, the power disruptions could have been avoided had Tangedco undertaken ‘proper maintenance’ of their installations. A spike in demand is primarily responsible for the tripping power in the city, officials said. A senior Tangedco official said that the continued increase in temperatures had resulted in heavy use of air-conditioners. Efforts were underway to strengthen the feeder network, which would address problems in power distribution, he added.
- Tamil Nadu govt in talks with Adani, others to reduce solar power price Read more
- Wind power reverse auction today, may witness aggressive bidding Read more
- Coal Panel blames project clearance delays on NGOs Read more
- Pak extracting gas from Indian fields Read more
- Natural gas is a cleaner answer to pollution Read more
- Government may soon come out with tenders for 2-4 GW solar power Read more
- Bhel offers to pick stakes in stranded power projects Read more
- NTPC eyes entry in Indias electric vehicles segment Read more
- Penalising Delhi discoms: AAP promises what DERC already proposes Read more
- NTPC gets Greentech Safety Award Read more