Power News We love to talk!
A proposal to provide permanent solution to issues of debt-ridden power distribution companies will be put before the Union Cabinet "very soon", Power Minister Piyush Goyal said today.
Hit by subsidised tariffs, state electricity discoms are facing cash crunch and are incurring annual losses of about Rs 60,000 crore. This is also affecting public sector banks as their bad loans are rising.
The Power Ministry is working on a proposal to deal with over Rs 4 lakh crore loans of power distribution companies with a view to bring down their liabilities.
When asked about the ministry putting the proposal before the Cabinet, the minister said, "Very soon I can say at this juncture. The discussion with all major states facing problems are almost complete. I will meet Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister tomorrow in this regard".
Goyal has several rounds of meetings with different states including Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh, and bankers to sort out the issues relating to burgeoning debt ailing these discoms.
Earlier the UPA government had finalised a financial restructuring plan (FRP) for the discoms. But that did not serve as permanent solution.
About the banks' readiness to take a hit by lower interest rate for these discoms, Goyal said, "I can assure you that every bank has hailed the innovative way in which a permanent resolution to the discom problems has been worked out. Banks are delighted at the entire proposal."
- CERC: TPTCL seeks permission to sell Bhutan's power over PX Read more
- Coal price increase may push up power tariffs Read more
- Swelect Energy unit to expand solar PV module capacity Read more
- MNRE launches scheme for setting up 1000 MW CTU- connected wind power project Read more
- 'Discoms must revise power tariffs more regularly, says ex-power secy Read more
- Demand for power shoots up in Punjab Read more
- Prepare for inflated electricity bill Read more
- UDAY could help pare discom losses but bringing them down to zero might prove elusive Read more
- Government should review auction process of solar power projects, say industry experts Read more
- Earth will turn into fireball in less than 600 years: Stephen Hawking Read more