Power News We love to talk!
After the World Bank moved India up by 12 places in its latest ‘Doing Business 2016’ rankings, one of the three private-run electricity distribution companies in the national capital region of Delhi, Tata Power Delhi Distribution Ltd (TPDDL), has written to the Union power secretary for expediting reforms related to public works department (PWD) of the Delhi government to ensure further improvement in the country’s overall position.
The discom has suggested that the PWD should employ an online approval mechanism, wherein deemed right of way (ROW) permissions for new connections are given on the same day an application for the same is submitted along with fee. The PWD has, however, said that ROW approval would require 15 days. “ROW approvals are required to be taken from multiple agencies like
MCD/DDA/DSIDC/PWD/IGL/DMRC/DJB/MTNL/NHAI/railways etc for execution of various electrical works,” Praveer Sinha, CEO of TPDDL, said in a letter to the power secretary. He added that since these approvals aren’t given during monsoon period of six months from May to October, it left the discoms with little time for providing new connections and improvement in existing network.
In the report released by the World Bank last month, India’s ranking improved by 67 places under the ‘getting electricity’ parameter, which is one of the ten criteria employed by the agency to benchmark 189 countries.
TPDDL listed amendments in the Central Electricity Authority’s (CEA) notification on waiver on the requirement of an inspecting authority and reduction in time to get new connection from 140 to 15 days as major reasons for improved rankings.
- Swachh Bharat cess may hike petrol, diesel prices Read more
- Sterlite Power to raise Rs. 2,650 cr through InvIT; launch on May 17 Read more
- Tata Power wind farm project in MP Read more
- Safety, power supply are some of the promises Read more
- Oil ministry directs oil companies' to urge their staff to give up subsidised LPG cylinders Read more
- UP power distribution reforms in scam shadow Read more
- ONGC retains top slot among PSUs, BSNL worst performer: Survey Read more
- Revealed! Coal India's 'secret' plan to make reverse auction process transparent Read more
- World bank to refurbish old power plants Read more
- Strike impact: Coal India output down 40 per cent Read more