Coal News We love to talk!
India's demand for fuel rose 8.3 percent in December compared with the same month last year, driven by higher gasoline consumption as passenger vehicle sales rose on the back of year-end deals and discounts.
Asia's third largest economy consumed 15.8 million tonnes of fuel last month, data from the Petroleum Planning and Analysis Cell (PPAC) of the oil ministry showed.
Fuel consumption figures are a proxy for oil demand in India. The rise in India's fuel consumption contrasts with a moderation in China's oil demand in 2015.
"India is set to contribute more than any other country to the projected rise in global energy demand, around one-quarter of the total...," the International Energy Agency said in a report last year.
Consumption of gasoil or diesel, which comprises about 40 percent of refined fuels used in India, rose 5.4 percent to 6.48 million tonnes. A temporary ban on diesel vehicles, upheld by India's top court, and road rationing in capital New Delhi are likely to hit consumption.
Sales of gasoline, or petrol, surged 11.8 percent from a year earlier to 1.82 million tonnes as passenger car sales in the month rose nearly 13 percent and the fuel became cheaper, thanks to tumbling crude prices.
Cooking gas or liquefied petroleum gas ( LPG) sales increased 6.2 percent to 1.78 million tonnes, while naphtha sales were 24.8 percent higher at 1.12 million tonnes. Sales of bitumen, used on roads, were up 11.2 percent, while fuel oil use rose 12.6 percent in December.
- IOC raises oil import from Latin America to cut costs Read more
- Maharashtra may hike fuel prices, says All India Petroleum Dealers Association Read more
- Energy security unlikely without proper policies Read more
- ONGC to list OVL abroad in 2013 Read more
- CERC revises transmission tariff for Powergrids transmission assets under WRSSS-II Read more
- Coal cost pass-through an expensive proposition Read more
- October fuel demand surges at fastest pace in nearly 12 years Read more
- Oil PSUs integration may birth not one, but two entities; authorities planning VRS scheme Read more
- Govt decision on auction of 69 small, marginal oil & gas fields likely today Read more
- GIS substation: traffic regulations from today Read more