Power News We love to talk!
Following discussions held at the Hyderabad House between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the visiting Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, India and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) on Thursday signed nine agreements covering cooperation in the fields of currency swap, culture, investments in the infrastructure sector, renewable energy, space research, insurance supervision, cyber security, skill development and commercial information sharing.
Earlier in the day, Sheikh Bin Zayed was given a ceremonial welcome at the forecourt of the Rashtrapati Bhavan. Sheikh bin Zayed also had a restricted meeting at 7, Race Course Road, with Mr.Modi. The Ministry of External Affairs initially announced four agreements but revised the list later adding five more agreements.
Anwar Gargash, UAE’s Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, told The Hindu that both sides had reached an understanding on a wide range of issues and the agreements signed on Thursday were the beginning of a new era of bilateral cooperation.
“We have common interest in fighting terrorism and, therefore, we have an agreement to counter terror in the cyber field. Defence collaboration is also progressing well,” said Dr.Gargash, highlighting that a great deal of bilateral cooperation had taken off since Mr.Modi visited UAE in 2015.
However, the much anticipated agreement on India accessing UAE’s Sovereign Fund was not declared on Thursday. “India should carry out some structural changes in its economy to facilitate such an agreement,” Dr.Gargash said.
Dr.Gargash said India and the UAE had begun a dialogue that would firm up a Free Trade Agreement between India and the Gulf Cooperation Council.
- India saved Rs 47,185 crore on higher energy efficiency in three years Read more
- Wind power tariff may nose down to Rs 4-4.5 per unit in the latest 1,000 Mw auction Read more
- Solar price may be 10% below coal power rates by 2020: report Read more
- Afcons eyes bigger role in LNG terminals Read more
- Electric buses to run on seven new routes in Mumbai Read more
- Not only electrics, but extend lower excise duty on hybrids too, says Volvo Read more
- Adani Green Energy defers its polysilicon manufacture plans Read more
- Private sector executives might become NTPC's first chairman and managing director Read more
- Gas power plants need long-term solution for fuel scarcity: Piyush Goyal Read more
- For overseas oil & gas assets, India may form joint venture with UAE, Kuwait Read more