Power News We love to talk!
Following discussions held at the Hyderabad House between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the visiting Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, India and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) on Thursday signed nine agreements covering cooperation in the fields of currency swap, culture, investments in the infrastructure sector, renewable energy, space research, insurance supervision, cyber security, skill development and commercial information sharing.
Earlier in the day, Sheikh Bin Zayed was given a ceremonial welcome at the forecourt of the Rashtrapati Bhavan. Sheikh bin Zayed also had a restricted meeting at 7, Race Course Road, with Mr.Modi. The Ministry of External Affairs initially announced four agreements but revised the list later adding five more agreements.
Anwar Gargash, UAE’s Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, told The Hindu that both sides had reached an understanding on a wide range of issues and the agreements signed on Thursday were the beginning of a new era of bilateral cooperation.
“We have common interest in fighting terrorism and, therefore, we have an agreement to counter terror in the cyber field. Defence collaboration is also progressing well,” said Dr.Gargash, highlighting that a great deal of bilateral cooperation had taken off since Mr.Modi visited UAE in 2015.
However, the much anticipated agreement on India accessing UAE’s Sovereign Fund was not declared on Thursday. “India should carry out some structural changes in its economy to facilitate such an agreement,” Dr.Gargash said.
Dr.Gargash said India and the UAE had begun a dialogue that would firm up a Free Trade Agreement between India and the Gulf Cooperation Council.
- Coal fire - 2: Essar Power's Rs 11,000-crore investment awaits mining approvals Read more
- EAC concerns may delay launch of NTPC project Read more
- NCC-BGR team bags coal mine project in West Bengal Read more
- Discrimination on religious ground in electrification in UP: Piyush Goyal Read more
- Maharashtra to invite tenders to supply solar pumps to farmers Read more
- Indian oil launches 'XTRAREWARDS' in Kerala Read more
- Renewable energy gets new lease of life Read more
- Solar power to meet metro rails 40% energy need Read more
- Alstom T&D India to lead Himachal Pradesh smart project Read more
- Aggregation is the cornerstone of energy efficiency Read more