Power News We love to talk!
Transformer replacement work is under way in the fifth unit of Tuticorin Thermal Power Station (TTPS) on Thursday.
Transformer replacement in this coal-based power generation unit was necessitated following a technical snag. A team of technical experts from Tiruchi was involved in the work, which was expected to be over in another three days, sources from TTPS told The Hindu .
This transformer had been in operation since the commissioning of the fifth unit in 1991. Power generation in the unit, with a production capacity of 210 megawatts, was suspended around 9 p.m. on Tuesday.
Once the work was over, mandatory checks would be carried out before production was started, the sources noted.
However, power production was in full swing in the other four units which had a capacity to generate 210 mw each.
Unlike in the other four units, breakdowns were rare in the fifth unit.
Referring to the performance of the unit, sources said that it was functional for 232 consecutive days in 2004 – the best performance on record among the five units of the TTPS.
It was in the same year that the fifth unit achieved the highest plant load factor of 104.7 per cent, sources also added.
- Telangana sanctions Rs. 350 cr for extra power purchase Read more
- UDAY could help pare discom losses but bringing them down to zero might prove elusive Read more
- Coal supplies to power plants to depend on PPAs Read more
- Govt working on coal allotment procedure for commercial mining Read more
- ReNew Power Ventures signs MoU with IITD for research facility on renewable energy Read more
- Dumping probe on import of solar cells from China, 3 other nations Read more
- Power sector has investment potential of Rs15 trillion in 4-5 years: Piyush Goyal Read more
- Government to float tenders to lease sea blocks for wind farms early next year Read more
- Foundation stone laid for Uppur thermal plant Read more
- Power distribution reforms: All is not well for states tariff revision Read more