Power News We love to talk!
Based on a complaint that there were power cuts in various parts of Chennai at night and money was allegedly being distributed to voters under the cover of darkness, the Election Commission (EC) has issued a notice to the Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Company (Tangedco).
“There was a complaint and we have issued a notice to Tangedco and we are awaiting their response. We are monitoring the power cuts,” Chief Electoral Officer Rajesh Lakhoni said. There are allegations that the power cuts were planned to facilitate carrying of money for distribution to voters.
Fire in transformer
A senior official of the Tangedco while confirming that the Election Commission had asked for a report, based on a complaint by a political party, he said on Tuesday night electricity was suspended in and around Koyambedu due to a fire in a transformer at the substation there. A report on this was being sent to the Election Commission. Denying any political motive, the official said, there was a fire in the bus bar of a power transformer in the 230 kilo volt (KV) substation at Koyambedu. As a precautionary step, power supply was switched off and fire tenders were called in. Power supply was interrupted in K.K. Nagar, Kodambakkam, Nungambakkam, West Mamablam, Ashok Nagar, Vadapalani, Arumbakkam, T. Nagar and Valasaravakkam, before two transformers were re-energised.
- A power meeting Read more
- Tough times for consumers; power deficit touches 11k MW in April Read more
- Right call, wrong handling Read more
- Unit 2 of Kudankulam to start commercial operation from Dec Read more
- GIC, ADIA to put $450 million into Greenko Read more
- BHEL bags order to set up power plant in Madhya Pradesh Read more
- India has 2-b market potential for high-voltage transmission lines: Alstom Read more
- Finance ministry, Asian Development Bank review 55 projects worth $13.5 billion Read more
- Limit subsidy for power plants to APM gas usage: Power ministry Read more
- RBI stick for SEBs vital: Defaults must be made public, not papered over Read more