Power News We love to talk!
Stating that the aggregate technical and commercial (AT&C) losses of power in the country at present are as high as 23-24 per cent, Union Minister of State for Power, Coal and New and Renewable Energy Piyush Goyal has said that his objective is to bring it down to around 15 per cent in the near future. He sought the cooperation of State governments to achieve the target and said the country could save approximately 40,000 crore by plugging the leak.
Addressing a press conference at a resort in south Goa on Thursday, Goyal said his ministry was taking steps to replace the meters of consumers who use more than 500 units a month with smart meters. The scheme will be extended to consumers of more than 200 units by 2019, he said. Earlier, at the two-day conference of State Power, Energy and Renewable Energy Ministers, the States unanimously suggested that all the consumers across the country be supplied with tamper-proof and cost-efficient smart meters.
Addressing the meeting, Goyal said the ministry was committed to ensuring that every household is electrified and all farmers get adequate and timely power. “Making a difference to the lives of poor, rural people and farmers is important in achieving our goal of 24x7 power for all – industry, commerce, households and farmers – by 2019 is our goal,” he said. He said hydro and wind energy has been neglected and it is important to get them on track with long-term growth plans.
Secretary for Coal Anil Swarup said that from a shortage situation sometime back, the ministry is now saddled with surplus stock and there are not many takers for 550 million tonnes of coal stock. He appealed to generating companies to stop importing coal. He said Coal India Ltd has set up the processes for auction of coal to public and private entities and a dispute resolution mechanism has also been set up to look into disputes between States.
- Energy storage sector kicked-up about renewables, micro-grid opportunities Read more
- Consumers oppose proposed Mescom tariff hike Read more
- WindStream Technologies to Participate in Hybrid Renewable Energy Program for India's M.N.R.E. Read more
- Power Grid Board approves plans to invest Rs 575 crore Read more
- Government caps coal output from Reliance Power blocks to Sasan UMPP Read more
- Jindal Power, JSW Energy among power companies honoured for good performance Read more
- Govt to tender 1 gigawatt of solar rooftop capacity in December Read more
- Kalpakkam to have two more prototype fast breeder reactors: Govt Read more
- Heat wave pushes up electricity prices in spot market Read more
- Rise in electricity demand to revive stressed power companies: Experts Read more