Power News We love to talk!
Stating that the aggregate technical and commercial (AT&C) losses of power in the country at present are as high as 23-24 per cent, Union Minister of State for Power, Coal and New and Renewable Energy Piyush Goyal has said that his objective is to bring it down to around 15 per cent in the near future. He sought the cooperation of State governments to achieve the target and said the country could save approximately 40,000 crore by plugging the leak.
Addressing a press conference at a resort in south Goa on Thursday, Goyal said his ministry was taking steps to replace the meters of consumers who use more than 500 units a month with smart meters. The scheme will be extended to consumers of more than 200 units by 2019, he said. Earlier, at the two-day conference of State Power, Energy and Renewable Energy Ministers, the States unanimously suggested that all the consumers across the country be supplied with tamper-proof and cost-efficient smart meters.
Addressing the meeting, Goyal said the ministry was committed to ensuring that every household is electrified and all farmers get adequate and timely power. “Making a difference to the lives of poor, rural people and farmers is important in achieving our goal of 24x7 power for all – industry, commerce, households and farmers – by 2019 is our goal,” he said. He said hydro and wind energy has been neglected and it is important to get them on track with long-term growth plans.
Secretary for Coal Anil Swarup said that from a shortage situation sometime back, the ministry is now saddled with surplus stock and there are not many takers for 550 million tonnes of coal stock. He appealed to generating companies to stop importing coal. He said Coal India Ltd has set up the processes for auction of coal to public and private entities and a dispute resolution mechanism has also been set up to look into disputes between States.
- ReNew Power Ventures raises Rs 500 crore through green bonds Read more
- Canada sends first consignment of uranium to India Read more
- IL&FS; to list wind energy assets as InvIT to raise Rs2,000 crore Read more
- Suzlons first wind site completes 20 years Read more
- MOIL stake sale process starts; may hit market this fiscal Read more
- PSERC notifies proposed tariff for renewable energy technologies for 2015-16 Read more
- Solar energy draft policy of Goa government open to public for comments Read more
- Experts pitch for fossil fuels to drive growth in India Read more
- NTPC's Badarpur unit among most polluting power plants: Study Read more
- 7th India Energy Congress to begin tomorrow Read more