Power News We love to talk!
The Delhi government on Tuesday attributed outages in the city to a poor distribution network of private power discoms, and said it had nearly 1,500 to 2,000 MW of surplus electricity that it might even sell to power-starved States
Power Minister Satyender Jain, who is miffed over the poor performance of BSES discoms, will meet the company’s chairman, Lalit Jalan, here on Wednesday, days after his missive to Anil Ambani, the Chairperson of Reliance-ADAG. Mr. Jain told reporters that the city was facing outages due to “local faults” and not due to a shortage of power.
“We can even sell power to States across the country in view of the surplus availability of around 1,500 to 2,000 MW here and the prevailing costly power purchase agreements with the private distribution companies. We have written to all,” Mr. Jain said.
The Capital had on May 20 recorded its peak power demand of 6,188 MW. It had crippled the power infrastructure and led to outages in many parts of the city. Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal had recently lashed out at the discoms over power cuts, while Mr. Jain had shot off a letter to Ambani highlighting “atrocious” performance of the discoms.
Reliance ADAG-owned BSES entities BRPL (BSES Rajdhani Power Limited) and BYPL (BSES Yamuna Power Limited) supply electricity to around 12 lakh and 16 lakh customers, respectively. The city’s power sector was privatised in 2002.
The discoms maintain that the fault lies with the transmission network and that they had actually brought down energy loss levels to around 13 per cent in the city. They also apparently face issues in augmenting network due to lack of availability of land, which Mr. Kejriwal has promised to look into.
- CleanMax Solar bags 2.5 Megawatt contract from Indraprastha Power Generation Co Read more
- Pre-paid electricity meters across Haryana in 2 years: power utility chief Read more
- DAE invites US firms to be part of India's nuclear story Read more
- Uttarakhand Raj Bhawan plants saplings to cut down carbon footprint Read more
- Hindustan Powerprojects, Lanco in dispute over bank guarantees Read more
- Welspun Renewables commissions 52 MW solar plant in Maharashtra Read more
- IOC sends first consignment from Paradip oil refinery Read more
- Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant unit 2 synchronised with southern grid Read more
- REC plans to garner Rs. 700 cr via tax-free bonds Read more
- Energy PSUs seek savings via jointprocurement of goods and services Read more