Power News We love to talk!
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Saturday urged Prime Minister Narendra Modi to speed up establishment of an inter-State green energy corridor at the earliest to enable Tamil Nadu to sell about 1,000 MW of surplus renewable energy to other States.
In her letter to Mr. Modi, Ms. Jayalalithaa said Tamil Nadu, which had met its Renewable Purchase Obligation (RPO), was in a position to sell about 1,000 MW of wind power to other States . “To facilitate the sale of surplus wind power to the States in need of renewable energy, it is important that a dedicated inter-State green energy corridor is established ,” the Chief Minister said.
Acknowledging the proposal of Power Grid Corporation to establish such a corridor, Ms. Jayalalithaa requested Mr. Modi instruct the Ministry of Power to speed up the process. While infrastructure would take some time, the Power Grid Corporation could be directed to allocate dedicated transmission capacity on a priority basis to evacuate the surplus wind energy to other States this season.
During the current wind season, wind power up to 4,400 MW was being utilised in the Tamil Nadu grid based on the evacuation infrastructure that has been established. The State decided to establish an intra-state green energy corridor in 2013. Based on financing from the NCEF and further assistance from the German aid agency, KfW, such a corridor is well on its way to being fully operational, she said.
However, even with the implementation of the intra-State evacuation infrastructure, the entire wind energy generated in the State could not be fully consumed in Tamil Nadu, , Ms. Jayalalithaa said explaining the reason for the need for an inter-state corridor.
9,500 MW more in five years. The State has an installed capacity of 7,600 MW of wind power. It also has an installed capacity of 1,142 MW of solar power. .
- CAG has erred in computation: RPower Read more
- BSES, SECI sign power sale agreements; likely to help Delhi's peak energy demand Read more
- GERC determines project specific tariff for SMCs solar power projects Read more
- I Squared Capital Partners with Amplus to Create a Leader in Distributed Rooftop Solar Power in India Read more
- India, Japan to deepen energy ties; Piyush Goyal invites investment Read more
- Developers expects solar power tariff to drop to Rs 1.5/unit Read more
- India ranks second in EY renewables list Read more
- MYSUN commissions 231 kW industrial rooftop solar project Read more
- India achieves 20,000 Mw solar capacity milestone years ahead of target Read more
- Andhra Pradesh must set the pace in solar race: P Ashok Gajapathi Raju Read more