Power News We love to talk!
Its population is significantly lower than the metros but Gurgaon consumes much more power per person than Delhi, Chennai, Mumbai, Bengaluru and Kolkata, data compiled by the state discom shows.
Gurgaon is the biggest power consumer in the country in terms of per capita load among big cities. The data denotes per capita consumption on the day a city's power demand is at its peak. In Gurgaon, the per capita peak power load is 1,000 watts. It is 818W in Chennai and 193W in Mumbai. Delhi, with a peak load of 6,260 MW this season, has a peak per capita load of 567W. Bengaluru's per capita load is 568 W and it is 434W in Kolkata.
Additional chief secretary (power), Haryana, Rajan Kumar Gupta said Gurgaon is one of the fastest growing cities not just in the country, but also internationally in terms of peak load growth rate. "The load growth in Gurgaon has beaten all estimates and expectations over the last 10 years," he said. The demand growth is a factor of both its thriving economy and lifestyle.
However, he said the power infrastructure could not be upgraded at the same pace, which is why the city faces outages. In fact, the city's power load has grown 133% over the last 10 years — from 120 MW in 2000s to 1600 MW in 2016, according to Dakshin Haryana Bijli Vitran Nigam. "The average growth rate in terms of peak load would be 13-14 % on an average every year," said Sanjeev Chopra, general manager (Gurgaon circle), DHBVN.
Experts say the higher rate of consumption can be contributed to a number of power intensive industries such as textile, manufacturing industries and large commercial buildings that guzzle power at very high rates.
Gupta said the city is the biggest operation circle in the country, which sometimes becomes a hurdle in providing smooth service to the customers. "Gurgaon is the biggest operation circle with a big consumer base. So the government has decided to divide it in two circles with two superintending engineers and additional manpower. Along with manpower, a lot of new infrastructure will also be added to the city," he added.
- State gets 200 MW additional power Read more
- DERC asked to reserve final order in BSES licence cancellation case Read more
- Govt to promote solar powered charkhas, rickshaws under off-grid solar scheme Read more
- Coal scam: Dishonest misrepresentation before ex-PM Manmohan Singh, says Court Read more
- Odisha drops corpus fund plan for rebuilding power infra after disasters Read more
- Mine auction to ensure cheaper power: Jaitley Read more
- AP to convert municipal solid waste into energy Read more
- Gas price hike in April likely to be flat Read more
- IOC to invest Rs 21,000 crore to upgrade fuel quality Read more
- Argonaut Ventures, New Silk Route, Bessemer Venture looking to sell 80% stake in Kiran Energy Read more