Power News We love to talk!
Moving ahead with plans to modernize MSEDCL's distribution network, energy minister Chandrashekhar Bawankule has decided to make the power network of Mouda town fully underground. The town has been chosen for the pilot project as there were large number of electrical accidents there in past six months. It also falls in the minister's assembly constituency.
An MSEDCL official said the cost of the project was 17.26 crore. "We will lay 5 km 33 KV cable, 39 km 11 KV cable and 42 km low tension (LT) cable. The service lines are not our domain and consumers have to convert their overhead lines into underground ones at their expense," he added.
The bhoomipujan of the project will be performed by Bawankule on Saturday. He will also inaugurate the executive engineer (EE) office of MSEDCL in the town. Mouda division has been created recently. Bawankule has also decided to make the entire power network of his home town Koradi underground. This work is at tendering stage.
Commenting on advantages of an underground power system, the official said it cut down the number of breakdowns sharply. "These cables are safe from strong winds, heavy rain and other elements. However, they can be damaged if the earth is dug up. Also, it takes more time to locate a fault in an underground cable compared to an overhead one. Overall, an underground system provides far better service to consumers," he added.
Some areas of the Nagpur city too will have underground power network in the coming months. The areas are: Gokulpeth market, Sadar, Gandhibagh and Itwari. "Under the Integrated Power Development Scheme (IPDS) Phase-I, we have selected only crowded market areas. The total cost of the project is 273.6 crore. Some 157 km high tension (HT) cable will be laid under this project. The total length of LT lines is 725 km. Four new 33/11 KV substations will be set up at Khamla, Dharampeth, Kalamna and Subhan Nagar," the official said.
He further said another 250 crore would be invested under the Smart City project.
- Jindal Power advances Tamnar expansion for tax holiday Read more
- TATA, Adani among prospective bidders Read more
- Alstom India will supply transformers for NTPC's Supercritical Nabinagar Power Project Read more
- CIL floats first tender to supply coal under SHAKTI scheme Read more
- Now, apply online with documents to avail subsidy on solar power panels Read more
- Safeguard duty on solar: Nothing can jeopardise clean energy, says R K Singh Read more
- HERC trues-up tariff, revises ARR and determines generation tariff for HPGCL Read more
- Power rate up Rs 7.5 per unit as coal shortage hit generation, say experts Read more
- State tops list in reducing power losses Read more
- Jaiprakash Power trips on Uttarakhand floods Read more