Power News We love to talk!

AUG 04 2016

Waste-to-energy plant to be set up in Kovai

  • Economic Times, ET Bureau / Hyderabad
  • Created: Thu 04th AUG 2016

 

With the city producing over 1100 tonnes of waste on a daily basis, the Coimbatore corporation plans to set up a waste to energy plant based on a model from Stuttgart region in Germany. If sources are to be believed, the announcement will come from the chief minister on August 5.

Corporation officials said that the civic body earlier generated 800 tonnes but now the production had increased by another 400 tonnes. A waste to energy plant was proposed several years ago but the authorities said they were not sure of the type of technology that could be used.

"The city mayor and corporation commissioner, who had visited Esslingen to sign the sister city agreement, also took time to visit the waste to energy plant located at Stuttgart region in Germany and were impressed by the technology," said an engineer.

The city corporation commissioner, K Vijayakarthikeyan, said that the city generated about 700 tonnes of waste every day and they incinerate almost 95% of the waste. The remaining 5% is put inside landfills. "They burn the waste and it is converted into steam. That steam is converted into energy used to warm the city as the temperatures are very low," he said.

But engineers said that though they could adopt the technology, they had to modify it to suit the city. "We want to make efficient use of the energy produced. Thus, we have decided to generate electricity out of it. As per our calculation, from 700 tonnes every day, 6 to 7 MW of electricity could be produced. This would be sold to the TANGEDCO," said an engineer.

Currently, the Coimbatore corporation generates 1100 tonnes of waste every day. "Of this, 400 tonnes is handed over to the Coimbatore Integrated Waste Management company private limited who process it. Another 100 tonnes of organic waste is processed in the vermi-compost plant. The remaining 600 tonnes needs to be processed but is currently being dumped. So the civic body needs another waste to energy plant at the earliest," said officials. They added that they plan to increase the organic waste compost yard by segregation.

The civic body officials said that they were working on the detailed project report and they would set it up based on public private partnership mode. Senior officials said that the announcement from the government is expected this month.

As per the new method, the waste would be shredded into smaller particles several times, then dried completely to ensure there is no moisture. Subsequently, it would be incinerated. The energy produced would be connected to the steam engine which would be connected to gen-sets. The electricity produced would be connected to the grid.

They also plan to set up a treatment plant to treat the leachate (water that percolates from solid waste) to ensure ground water does not get polluted.

Tags

Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation Ltd Grid Energy waste to energy plant Electricity

Related News

  • Goyal's boast ignores power problems  Read more
  • Delhi discoms lose crores to meet winter power shortfall  Read more
  • Greenbacks for greening: India needs a finance system that promotes ecologically sustainable industry  Read more
  • Smart cities take baby steps: VC funding in smart grids at $81 mn in Jul-Sep  Read more
  • NDA government mulls plan to freeze non-performing debt of SEBs  Read more
  • Implementation of a Scheme for Development of Solar Parks and Ultra Mega Solar Power Projects in the country commencing from 2014-15 and onwards (from year 201415 to 201819)  Read more
  • Modi's Independence Day speech: Claims Vs Reality  Read more
  • CCI gives 30 days to get oil blocks out of MoD fire  Read more
  • Ten per cent hike in electricity tariff in Madhya Pradesh  Read more
  • Co-operative department to set up solar plant in Rajasthan's Ganganagar  Read more