Power News We love to talk!
The possibility of a water crisis in Sundargarh and Jharsuguda district due to the proposed barrage construction on Ib river by Chhattisgarh government has further magnified after it was learnt that another hydro-power project over Ib river at Gulu village in Chhattisgarh is under construction.
The residents of Sundargarh, who have earlier expressed their concern over the construction of the barrage, have demanded intervention of the state government.
According to sources, the proposed hydropower project in Gulu will utilize water from river Ib river to generate about 24KW electricity. The project, which was conceived in 2007, received clearance from the state and central government.
However, it faced delay due to protests by locals over fear that their villages will be submerged under water. The residents of Sundargarh are worried that the project will further affect the water flow of Ib river, which is the lifeline for thousands of farmers of Sundargarh and Jharsuguda district.
A delegation of Sundargarh Nagarika Committee had recently visited the construction site of the proposed barrage and voiced their concerns. "We are worried to know about the construction of a hydro-power project on Ib river in Gulu," said B M Tripathy, president, Sundargarh Nagarika Committee. "The residents of Sundargarh and Jharsuguda will be adversely affected if these two projects affect the flow of Ib river to our area. We demand immediate intervention of the state government," Tripathy added.
Senior Congress leader and former speaker of state assembly, Kishore Patel, took a dig at ruling Biju Janata Dal over the issue. "Although the Congress had drawn the attention of the government by calling a strike in Sundargarh recently, the state government has not yet taken up the issue with Chhattisgarh," said Patel.
- GERC Maintains Leniency over RPO Compliance Read more
- Govt to approve 3rd party use of Adanis transmission line Read more
- Green Drive: NIT students build solar-power vehicle Read more
- Dip in power demand to cut capacity addition target Read more
- ReNew Power Ventures raises $50 million in debt from Yes Bank Read more
- KSERC dismisses KSEBLs petition for amendment to electricity supply code Read more
- Coal India: Higher e-auction sales, overall output to boost profitability Read more
- Cost of Kudankulam unit 3 and 4 double the cost of earlier units Read more
- Power Grid Corp aims to boost energy supply to northern states Read more
- Adani Power seeks shareholders' nod for raising upto Rs 5,000 crore Read more