Power News We love to talk!
To produce electricity or buy it? Industrial houses with captive power plants constantly ask themselves this as power on exchange can be bought for as low as 2.80, while producing electricity can cost as much as 3.50- 4.
Large-scale manufacturing units in the South are currently making use of the cheap excess electricity available on the exchanges, while running their power generation units at half-capacity. "Currently there's cheap power available on the exchange, but that's not to say the same situation will continue. Sometime ago I bought electricity for as much as Rs 10-11," says a top executive at a South Indian cement major.
With many states like Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Chattisgarh producing power in excess, experts say cheap electricity maybe available for a few more months going forward. With wind season strong in South now, power buyers are sitting on a problem of plenty. While power exchanges are a big help, they still cannot cope with the actual demand and supply chain, say experts.
"Only 10% of power consumed in India is being bought off the exchange. More than 90% of power is still being bought from state distributors like Tangedco or utility companies like Tata Power," says James Rajan, director- service unit, South Asia, Wartsila India.
- Adani's Maharashtra project gets MERC nod for compensatory tariff Read more
- Mumbai will save Rs 80 crore per year with LED lights: Piyush Goyal Read more
- Ddeveloping nations "unfairly" taken to task on the issue of pollution: Piyush Goyal Read more
- Adequate power available to meet consumer demand, says Government Read more
- BHELbags Rs 2,854-cr Bihar project Read more
- Central Electricity Regulatory Commission orders on Tata Power, Adani Power challenged Read more
- How manufacturers are gearing up to seize the opportunity in electric vehicle space Read more
- Chennai airport installs solar panel to check its power needs Read more
- India has emerged as biggest renewable energy lab in world: US ambassador to India, Richard Verma Read more
- NuPower commissions 30 MW wind farm in Maharashtra Read more