Power News We love to talk!
India and the US moved closer to the planned construction of six reactors by American company Westinghouse at a proposed nuclear plant in Andhra Pradesh, with the two sides deciding to immediately commence the work on engineering and site design, and make an early conclusion of a competitive financing package.
The issue of the nuclear power plant was among the key items on the agenda for the second round of Strategic and Commercial Dialogue between the two nations here.
"The sides noted the progress made in bilateral civil nuclear cooperation and applauded continued engagement between Westinghouse and the Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd toward finalising the contractual arrangements by June 2017 to build six AP 1000 reactors that will provide clean, reliable energy to millions of people in India," according to a joint statement issued on Wednesday following the dialogue.
"They also looked forward to the immediate commencement of work on engineering and site design and the early conclusion of a competitive financing package based on the joint work by India and the US Export-Import Bank," it said. This marks progress since PM Narendra Modi's Washington visit in June when the two sides welcomed the start of preparatory work for the reactors.
On civil nuclear partnership, US Secretary of State John Kerry on Tuesday said: "Our civil nuclear cooperation will bring affordable clean energy to tens of millions of Indian households as we move closer in the use of safe, modern, latest generation, modular nuclear power."
- Land, finance key to India renewables drive: First Solar CEO Read more
- India, Russia prepare to settle controversy over NTPC deal Read more
- Crudeoil up on healthy economic indicators Read more
- India needs $1.5 trillion for infrastructure, power, renewable energy: Arun Jaitley Read more
- After meeting Jayalalithaa, hopeful Tamil Nadu will join Uday: Goyal Read more
- States owe generation companies Rs 32,024 crore till Feb 2018: Govt portal Read more
- Solar power helps pump up petrol sales amid power shortage Read more
- UPPCL camps for new connections from second week of December Read more
- Future bids for renewable projects to have 50% manufacturing component: R K Singh Read more
- HLL Lifecare will be first direct customer for Petronet gas in Kerala Read more