Power News We love to talk!
India and the US moved closer to the planned construction of six reactors by American company Westinghouse at a proposed nuclear plant in Andhra Pradesh, with the two sides deciding to immediately commence the work on engineering and site design, and make an early conclusion of a competitive financing package.
The issue of the nuclear power plant was among the key items on the agenda for the second round of Strategic and Commercial Dialogue between the two nations here.
"The sides noted the progress made in bilateral civil nuclear cooperation and applauded continued engagement between Westinghouse and the Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd toward finalising the contractual arrangements by June 2017 to build six AP 1000 reactors that will provide clean, reliable energy to millions of people in India," according to a joint statement issued on Wednesday following the dialogue.
"They also looked forward to the immediate commencement of work on engineering and site design and the early conclusion of a competitive financing package based on the joint work by India and the US Export-Import Bank," it said. This marks progress since PM Narendra Modi's Washington visit in June when the two sides welcomed the start of preparatory work for the reactors.
On civil nuclear partnership, US Secretary of State John Kerry on Tuesday said: "Our civil nuclear cooperation will bring affordable clean energy to tens of millions of Indian households as we move closer in the use of safe, modern, latest generation, modular nuclear power."
- PSERC allows PSPCL to procure power from rooftop solar projects totalling 53 MW Read more
- Discoms backtrack on shares from CGSs Read more
- Textile industry expresses concern over idling wind farms Read more
- Kasaragod to give a power boost to State Read more
- No restrictions on buying power from multiple sources: Appellate Tribunal of Electricity Read more
- Coal supplies zoom, but shortage at IPPs keeps power tariff high Read more
- Green energys moment under the sun Read more
- Power Grid Corporation of India serves notice on BSES discoms for outstanding dues Read more
- JSW Energy reports 59% drop in Q2 profit, warns of more pain Read more
- JP Morgan may pick up Rs 800-crore stake in Bhaskar Groups Diliigent Power Read more