Coal News We love to talk!
Human Rights Forum (HRF), a voluntary forum of rights activists, has made certain demands on the Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF) with regard to the process for issue of environmental clearances to thermal power projects.
Through a press release on Saturday, the Forum has asked for extension of period for filing objections from the present 15 days to 30 days, and a mechanism to scrutinise the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) reports before putting them up for public hearing. Also, the State Pollution Control Board should make all the public hearing information and EIA reports accessible through the website, the organisation has demanded, besides advocating transparency in the process.
HRF had pointed out glaring instances of plagiarism in the EIA report for the 4,000-MW Yadadri Thermal Power Project in Nalgonda district submitted by TSGENCO to the Expert Appraisal Committee (EAC) of the MoEF, based on which the committee has deferred the issue of EC for the project.
HRF Nalgonda General Secretary N.Harinder and city president K.Babu Rao have noted that the quality of the EIA reports has been declining, but there is no process of scientific scrutiny by the regulator before public hearing. There is hardly any case of rejecting environmental clearance based on the poor quality of EIA report, the note said. People’s right to participate in development as recognised by the Rio summit in 1992 has been reduced to mere formality, and dissenting voices are throttled by various means, it alleged.
- Coal India's June output at 42.72 million tones Read more
- Releases Draft Guidelines for selection of 3000 MW Grid-connected Solar PV Power Projects under Batch-II, Tranche-I (State Specific Scheme) Read more
- FACT requests compensation for high-priced natural gas Read more
- R-Power loses case against discoms over Andhra UMPP Read more
- Plans afoot to increase coal handling at Mormugao Port Trust: NGO Read more
- Wind energy comes into its own Read more
- Andhra power purchase sees toned down rates Read more
- Approval of Capital Expenditure of Unit #1 (45 MW), True up of Provisional Tariff Order for FY 13 and Multi Year Tariff Petition for FY 14 - 16 for Sale of Firm Power generated by plant of BLA Power Pvt. Ltd. To M.P. Power Management Co. Ltd, Jabalpur Read more
- MoU signed for feasibility report on waste to energy plant Read more
- GAIL names Subir Purkayastha as new Director (Finance) Read more