Power News We love to talk!
Both Adani Power and Tata Power have approached Central Electricity Regulatory Commission (CERC) to seek higher tariff for their imported coal fired power projects that are under implementation at Mundra on West Coast.
Adani Power that was seeking tariff hike for one of its power purchase agreement (PPA) with Gujarat government has now approached the central electricity regulator with same request for another agreement. Adani Power that signed its two power purchase agreements (PPAs) with state utility Gujarat UrjaVikas Nigam Limited (GUVNL) for 1,000 mw each in 2010 and 2012 for Rs 2.89 and Rs 2.35 per unit respectively.
Private sector power producers are seeking upward tariff revision sighting rising cost of imported coal from Indonesia since last year.
Rising costs of imported coal has made sizable existing and upcoming thermal power capacity unviable and developers are seeking higher tariff from the state utilities. Country's largest player in private sector Adani Power was envisaging commissioning 20,000 MW of power generation capacity by 2020.
Now, it is learnt to have put some of its projects on back burner. On Thursday, CERC heard Adani Power's plea seeking upward tariff revision for its PPAs signed for its upcoming 4,620 mw of imported coal fired power project. CERC directed GUVNL to furnish its response in the matter involving its two PPAs with Adani Power.
A top official of the energy and petrochemicals department of the government of Gujarat stated that GUVNL will respond to Adani Power once the state utility hears from the CERC. Ahmedabad headquartered diversified Rs 30,000 croreAdani Group has already challenged GUVNL in Supreme Court to scrap its PPA signed for 1,000 mw for Rs 2.35 per unit.
Adani Power learnt to have sought tariff hike for its PPAs signed with state utilities of Haryana also. GUVNL is yet to receive CERC directive.
- Anil Ambani-led Reliance Power seeking tariff increase for all UMPPs Read more
- CIL enters into JV agreement with three firms for Talcher complex Read more
- Tata Power Mundra tariff: Customer wont be hit even if rates go up Read more
- Toll in Adani power plant accident rises to 7 Read more
- Will privatization help fire up the coal industry? Read more
- CERC seeks pre-bid papers on Mundra plant Read more
- SembCorp to increase stake in Andhra Pradesh power plant Read more
- Dual role of gas transportation & trading under lens of petroleum regulator Read more
- House panel for rejig of loan norms for power sector Read more
- NTPC to secure 33 per cent of coal requirements from own mines by 2030 Read more