Power News We love to talk!
India’s rooftop solar market has added capacity at the fastest pace this year and crossed 1 gigawatt (GW) in total installed capacity, according to Bridge To India, a renewable energy-focused consultancy and research firm.
India has added 513 megawatt (MW) of rooftop solar capacity over the past 12 months, a growth of 113%, taking total installed capacity to 1,020 MW or 1 GW, Bridge To India said in a report on Wednesday.
The rooftop sector is expected to reach a total capacity of 12.7 GW by 2021. The cost of rooftop solar has fallen by 12% per annum for the last four years. India has a target of setting up 100 GW of solar capacity by 2022. Of this, 40 GW is to come from rooftop solar and 60 GW from grid connected solar projects.
“Rooftop solar has been a side-story in the Indian solar sector so far but that is beginning to change now. The sector is growing rapidly and beginning to realise its potential thanks largely to increasing cost competitiveness of rooftop solar power versus grid power,” said Vinay Rustagi, managing director, Bridge To India.
CleanMax Solar, Amplus Solar, Cleantech Solar, Azure Power, Rays Power Experts and Hero Future Energies are some of the leading companies offering rooftop solar projects.
“We expect rooftop solar to outpace growth in the utility solar market in the coming years. The government has announced attractive policies such as net metering, subsidies for select customers and cheaper debt financing for the sector although there is huge scope for improvement on every front,” Rustagi said.
Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra and Gujarat are the states leading in total installed capacity of the rooftop sector. India’s total solar capacity has crossed 9 GW, of this rooftop solar is 1 GW.
- With multi donor backing out, GoI to fund transmission lines in Arunachal Pradesh and Sikkim Read more
- GST on power equipment to cost Tamil Nadu power discomRs 500 crore Read more
- HPCL to set up Rs 37,000 cr project in Rajasthan Read more
- Deepwater gas solution soon Read more
- BHEL sets up over 45K MW capacity; beats 12th Plan target Read more
- Strong long-term demand outlook for wind energy sector: ICRA Read more
- 'CCEA may amend Mega Power Policy to push 31 GW projects' Read more
- PSERC determines the tariff for Rice Straw Based Biomass Plants Read more
- ONGC plans to invite partners for 6.5 GW renewable energy venture Read more
- CERC upholds Greenko Budhils IA relating to payment of transmission charges to Powergrid Read more