Coal News We love to talk!
Shares of Oil and Natural Gas Corp. Ltd (ONGC) have performed well in recent months. One reason for the optimism is increasing crude oil prices. Brent crude prices have averaged higher so far for the current quarter compared to the September quarter.
The state-run upstream oil company has announced a decent set of numbers for the quarter ended 30 September. Its operating profit or Ebitda came in at Rs9,539 crore. Analysts from Jefferies India Pvt. Ltd and Motilal Oswal Securities Ltd were expecting the measure at about Rs8,930 crore. Ebitda is short for earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortization.
One reason that helped ONGC beat estimates is a decline in operating costs. Statutory levies and other expenses declined 13% and 8%, respectively, on a year-on-year basis.
Not only that, exploration costs written off fell sharply as well. Finance costs dropped 7.5%. The upshot: ONGC’s pre-tax earnings increased 4% at a time when revenue declined 10% and other income was a bit lower.
While the company’s September quarter crude oil production is lower compared to last year’s quarter, crude oil and gas production both have improved compared to the June quarter. Net realization for the September quarter stood at $47.92 per barrel, an improvement on a sequential basis, which was pretty much expected. If the recent strength in oil prices were to persist, then upstream oil companies including ONGC will benefit this quarter. However, at the same time, some of the gains from higher oil prices are likely to be set off by the 18% lower domestic gas price effective 1 October.
But investors have no reason to complain. The ONGC share price has increased by as much as 43% from its lows seen in mid-May. The board has recommended a bonus issue in the ratio of 1:2. The stock currently trades at nearly 14 times estimated earnings for this fiscal year and appears to be adequately capturing the positives.
- French company Total in talks with state-run MRPL for fuel retailing joint venture in India Read more
- 18% tax under GST for solar modules to increase project costs: reportc Read more
- Oil Ministry reverts back to promoters selecting CEO of Petronet Read more
- Its time for a Drill in India campaign: Hind Oil Exploration Read more
- India's fuel demand rose 8.3 per cent in December Read more
- Transporter's strike likely to affect LPG supply: IOC Read more
- IGL to reduce CNG & PNG prices from tonight Read more
- Freshlease of life likely for power tax holidays Read more
- Excise duty of Rs750 cr recovered from CIL, subsidiaries Read more
- Sun Edison commits to build 15,200 MW renewable energy Read more