Power News We love to talk!
Several domestic brokerages have maintained a buy or overweight rating on the NTPC stock despite muted September quarter earnings. Long-term investors betting on the stock could see up to 30 per cent upside over the next 12 months, they say.
Motilal Oswal Securities has the most aggressive 12-month target price of Rs 199 on the stock, which translates into a 31 per cent upside from Thursday’s closing price of Rs 151.65.
The public sector power producer reported a modest 4 per cent rise in revenue and 3 per cent increase in adjusted net profit. Most analysts were happy with the numbers reported for the second quarter of 2016-17.
One reason could be the fact that NTPC has reported excellent operational performance and its earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation (Ebitda) went up 14 per cent compared with the same period last year, an ET report said.
NTPC is expected to continue this solid operational performance in the coming quarters, analysts said. Increased domestic coal production by Coal India is one of the reasons for this and it has helped NTPC reduce coal imports drastically, the report pointed out.
By the beginning of 2017-18, NTPC is projected to work fully on domestic coal. Reduced use of imported coal will bring down the cost and, thereby, help it increase plant utilisation.
- Getting the solar power goal on track Read more
- Open Access : Advantage or bottleneck? Read more
- Adani-Ambani power deal may spur tariff hike: Cong. Read more
- Govt to sell 5 pct stake in Power Finance Corporation on July 27 Read more
- Power shortage, peak deficit at all-time lows of 2.4%, 3.2%: Goyal Read more
- We ensured better coal quality, output: Piyush Goyal Read more
- CERC grants extension to GMR for injection of infirm power Read more
- TCG moving SC a blow to Bengal's HPL stake sale Read more
- Environment Ministry gets 6 months to clear Rs 50,000-cr stalled power projects Read more
- Power plants cry foul asWestern Coalfields Ltd looks at non-core firms Read more