Power News We love to talk!
Country’s largest power generator NTPC Ltd will replace its old power plants having a total capacity of 11,000 Megawatt, power, coal, renewable energy and mines minister Piyush Goyal today said.
He said the company would phase out power plants older than 25 years and added that the whole process would require around Rs 50,000 crore and would take around five years.
“It is very concerning that this country has very old power plants running which leads to very high carbon dioxide emission. The government wants to not only bring in new pollution control technology but also wants to phase out old power plants to bring down pollution levels,” Goyal said.
He further said that on Monday he had a consultation with NTPC Chairman and Managing Director Gurdeep Singh and within two days NTPC confirmed that it will phase out its old plants. “NTPC has already given the in-principle clearance to replace around 11,000 MW of its old, inefficient thermal power plants,” he said.
Further, the Minister informed that the Power Ministry is in talks with the Environment Ministry for clearances, which should not be a problem as it is a huge step in increasing energy efficiency and reducing carbon emissions. He also urged the State Governments to work in Mission-mode to modernize their existing thermal power plants with new super critical technology
- Govt planning for 70 lakh electric vehicles on roads by 2020: Venkaiah Naidu Read more
- 2013 will be year of consolidation for Essar Energy: Naresh Nayyar Read more
- Debate to operationalise national bulk market revives Read more
- Naveen steers clear of Talabira-II coal block controversy Read more
- VNIT develops energy minimizing controller, transfers tech to BARC Read more
- No plans to scale down CIL production target: Swarup Read more
- Deficient monsoon could hit Hydro output; govt talks of contingency plan to tackle power woes Read more
- AP to add 619 MW solar power capacity by April Read more
- Power sector has investment potential of Rs15 trillion in 4-5 years: Piyush Goyal Read more
- New bidding guidelines for solar power projects a positive for the sector: ICRA Read more