Power News We love to talk!
Recommending the housing societies to replace the diesel generator sets with the rooftop solar power systems, a study by Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) finds the clean energy option financially more attractive.
The study said the cost of power generation from a diesel generator set, including the capital cost, is Rs 27 to Rs 33 per unit as compared to rooftop solar tariff of less than Rs 10 per unit.
"In all the residential societies that CSE studied, the cost of power from solar rooftop with battery backup was found to be about half the cost of power generated by diesel generator sets," said Chandra Bhushan, Deputy Director General at CSE.
According to the study, up to 3 giga-watt of solar rooftop can be installed in new residential societies over the next five-seven years. The study points out the diesel generator sets have become more redundant due to reducing power outrage in cities. As power outrage from the grid reduces, the cost of power generation from the sets increases.
"On an average, many cities now have less than an hour of power cut in a day. We must realise that 'full backup' was considered a basic need by upscale societies when the outages often lasted several hours a day," said Priyavrat Bhati, programme director, energy, CSE.
CSE recommended to make solar rooftops mandatory and a complete ban on the DG sets in the upcoming residential societies. It also urged to support discoms to encourage them to push solar rooftop and provide subsidy for hybrid solar rooftop systems.
- Indigenous challenge to Adanis Carmichael coal mine dismissed Read more
- Who gave anyone the right to misuse reverse bidding process: Piyush Goyal Read more
- Maharashtra: Government approves setting up of new transmission systems Read more
- Kerala electricity regulator rejects KIIDC tariff application for solar PV project Read more
- Power gets costlier in Haryana; FSA raised by 5 paise per unit Read more
- Welspun Energy commissions Asias largest solar project Read more
- Green light to thermal power plants only after human risk evaluation Read more
- CCI clears JSW Energy purchase of JSPL's 1,000 MW power plant Read more
- Petronet plans 20 LNG stations for buses from state roadways Read more
- Another Kolkata college gets roof top grid-connected solar panel Read more