Power News We love to talk!
In a bid to adopt green technology, the Indian Railways is giving a big push to renewable energy to attain cost efficiency, Minister Suresh Prabhu said on Wednesday.
"The Railway Ministry is giving a big push to use renewable energy, electrification for ensuring sustainability and cost efficiency," Minister Prabhu said during a roundtable discussion here with the external stakeholders of the railways.
Prabhu observed that managing railways' operations while being environmentally sustainable remained a "challenge". Prabhu said: "Railways is working on mainstreaming sustainability in our strategy."
"Having set up a separate directorate for environment, it is no more a peripheral activity, and now integrated with and complements the core activity." Prabhu during the roundtable discussion highlighted the green inititives of the railways.
"Land use optimisation, afforestation, water bodies restoration, cleanliness are just some of the activities that the railways are working on to ensure sustainability," he said. Meanwhile, Minister of State for Railways Rajen Gohain said that "Railway is the most environment friendly modes of transport".
"We are conscious of green issues and taking measures to go green wherever possible," Gohain said. Stressing on the imporatnce of discussions with the external stakeholders, Prabhu said, "As a modern responsive organisation we cannot afford to work in isolation and we must tune ourselves to emerging trends in our economy and society."
"Roundtable discussions with external stakeholders will help in gaining perspectives, exchange knowledge and improving our workings," the Railway Minister said.
- ABB, Welspun Energys PV projects Read more
- Approvals for Adani's Carmichael project through; GVK's delayed: Andrew Robb Read more
- Adani Group unit emerges as most prolific solar company in last one year, says report Read more
- Piyush Goyal promises smooth coal supply to power plants by early October Read more
- Cheyyur UMPP to be built on domestic coal: Piyush Goyal Read more
- NTPC's non-core plans flounder Read more
- Energy security key to eliminating poverty in Africa: Piyush Goyal Read more
- Renewables row with US: Union Power Minister Piyush Goyal for dialogue, amicable solution Read more
- Power projects facing captive coal deallocation may get CIL lifeline Read more
- JKSERC revised the RPO for the State of J&K Read more