Power News We love to talk!
Solar power with storage is already available at half the cost, compared with power from diesel-run generators, according to industry watchers.
Vikram Kailas, Managing Director and CEO, Mytrah Energy, told BusinessLine : “We are probably going to hit the Rs. 5 kWh rate for solar power with storage in another five years.”
According to industry watchers, the biggest constraint to solar-and wind-powered projects is their inability to provide sustained power throughout the day. Even though solar-power tariffs have crashed to Rs. 4-6/kWh (from Rs. 16/kWh and above) in the past two years, the current technology of battery-linked storage pushes costs to Rs. 12-14/kWh for those seeking 24-hour solar power.
Explaining the rationale for the lowered tariffs, Kailas noted that the cost of storage-linked solar power is already near Rs. 8-10/kWh for housing societies in Gurgaon and Hyderabad. The industry is estimating a 3 per cent y-o-y decrease in costs for parts, and another 3 per cent y-o-y increase in efficiency. By those numbers, the industry estimates a 4-6 per cent y-o-y reduction in costs for both wind and solar.
The falling solar-panel costs have also been a factor in the lowering of tariffs. Commenting on projections that panel costs will continue to fall at the rate of 10 per cent per annum, Kailas said: “The solar-panel cost comprises 60 per cent of the overall project cost. So a 10 per cent reduction in the panel cost translates to a 6 per cent reduction in the project cost, and consequently, another 4-5 per cent reduction in tariffs.”
The government has also called for a tariff-based competitive bid for wind-power projects this year. Commenting on tariffs projections for the same, Kailas said: “We expect turbine costs also to come down. The turbine cost comprises nearly 80 per cent of the entire project cost. Even a 10 per cent reduction there will result in power tariffs coming down by 7 to 8 per cent. We expect the winning bids to remain Rs. 4.20- Rs. 4.50/kWh in this round.”
- Steel Ministry to continue with import duty reduction demand Read more
- BSE seeks clarification from CIL on being imposed one third penalty by Competition Commission Read more
- SC seeks response from Centre, four states on plea to curb pollution Read more
- Power-hungry states to drive smart grid business Read more
- MP govt to provide subsidised solar water pumps to farmers Read more
- Vedanta Resources' loss narrows to $3.5 billion in FY16 Read more
- Kalpataru Power Transmission to scale up business to beat slowdown Read more
- CITD becomes the first MSME institute to go solar Read more
- SECI commissions Indias second-largest grid-connected rooftop solar project in UP Read more
- TVS Capital Funds-led group in race for FTIL's stake in IEX Read more