Power News We love to talk!
Solar power with storage is already available at half the cost, compared with power from diesel-run generators, according to industry watchers.
Vikram Kailas, Managing Director and CEO, Mytrah Energy, told BusinessLine : “We are probably going to hit the Rs. 5 kWh rate for solar power with storage in another five years.”
According to industry watchers, the biggest constraint to solar-and wind-powered projects is their inability to provide sustained power throughout the day. Even though solar-power tariffs have crashed to Rs. 4-6/kWh (from Rs. 16/kWh and above) in the past two years, the current technology of battery-linked storage pushes costs to Rs. 12-14/kWh for those seeking 24-hour solar power.
Explaining the rationale for the lowered tariffs, Kailas noted that the cost of storage-linked solar power is already near Rs. 8-10/kWh for housing societies in Gurgaon and Hyderabad. The industry is estimating a 3 per cent y-o-y decrease in costs for parts, and another 3 per cent y-o-y increase in efficiency. By those numbers, the industry estimates a 4-6 per cent y-o-y reduction in costs for both wind and solar.
The falling solar-panel costs have also been a factor in the lowering of tariffs. Commenting on projections that panel costs will continue to fall at the rate of 10 per cent per annum, Kailas said: “The solar-panel cost comprises 60 per cent of the overall project cost. So a 10 per cent reduction in the panel cost translates to a 6 per cent reduction in the project cost, and consequently, another 4-5 per cent reduction in tariffs.”
The government has also called for a tariff-based competitive bid for wind-power projects this year. Commenting on tariffs projections for the same, Kailas said: “We expect turbine costs also to come down. The turbine cost comprises nearly 80 per cent of the entire project cost. Even a 10 per cent reduction there will result in power tariffs coming down by 7 to 8 per cent. We expect the winning bids to remain Rs. 4.20- Rs. 4.50/kWh in this round.”
- Discom claims daily loss of Rs 25 lakh due to power theft by e-rick owners Read more
- Testing, certification of S111 turbine complete: Suzlon Group Read more
- Malaysia's YTL in talks to acquire 49% in NSL Power Read more
- Tata Power looking to acquire stressed assets Read more
- A worrying precedent CERC order on Adani undermines tariff auction system Read more
- Sweden keen on opportunities in India's renewables space Read more
- Solar power: Even as PM Narendra Modi hard-sells make in India scheme, Gujarat PSU plays spoiler Read more
- India looking to import LNG from Canada Read more
- Govt deallocates 10 captive coal blocks Read more
- Gujarat: In the matter of waiver of the shortfall in meeting the RPO in case of four distribution licensees of GUVNL for FY 2012-13 Read more