Power News We love to talk!
Solar power with storage is already available at half the cost, compared with power from diesel-run generators, according to industry watchers.
Vikram Kailas, Managing Director and CEO, Mytrah Energy, told BusinessLine : “We are probably going to hit the Rs. 5 kWh rate for solar power with storage in another five years.”
According to industry watchers, the biggest constraint to solar-and wind-powered projects is their inability to provide sustained power throughout the day. Even though solar-power tariffs have crashed to Rs. 4-6/kWh (from Rs. 16/kWh and above) in the past two years, the current technology of battery-linked storage pushes costs to Rs. 12-14/kWh for those seeking 24-hour solar power.
Explaining the rationale for the lowered tariffs, Kailas noted that the cost of storage-linked solar power is already near Rs. 8-10/kWh for housing societies in Gurgaon and Hyderabad. The industry is estimating a 3 per cent y-o-y decrease in costs for parts, and another 3 per cent y-o-y increase in efficiency. By those numbers, the industry estimates a 4-6 per cent y-o-y reduction in costs for both wind and solar.
The falling solar-panel costs have also been a factor in the lowering of tariffs. Commenting on projections that panel costs will continue to fall at the rate of 10 per cent per annum, Kailas said: “The solar-panel cost comprises 60 per cent of the overall project cost. So a 10 per cent reduction in the panel cost translates to a 6 per cent reduction in the project cost, and consequently, another 4-5 per cent reduction in tariffs.”
The government has also called for a tariff-based competitive bid for wind-power projects this year. Commenting on tariffs projections for the same, Kailas said: “We expect turbine costs also to come down. The turbine cost comprises nearly 80 per cent of the entire project cost. Even a 10 per cent reduction there will result in power tariffs coming down by 7 to 8 per cent. We expect the winning bids to remain Rs. 4.20- Rs. 4.50/kWh in this round.”
- Budget 2018: Solar irrigation pumps may help cut subsidized power Read more
- Delhi discoms can save up to Rs 889 crore if purchase from exchanges: IEX Read more
- Suzlon head Tanti says Indias 60 GW green energy target can be easily achieved Read more
- Hike in petro prices fuels protest in city Read more
- India wins Obama backing for $160 billion solar push Read more
- OMCs bullish on renewable energy segment Read more
- Electricity Amendment Bill, 2014 Introduced in Lok Sabha; Changes Aimed at Promoting Competition, Efficiency in Operations and Improvement in Quality of Supply of Electricity Read more
- BGR Energy to supply generators for NTPCs Chhattisgarh project Read more
- Vallur thermal units down, Tamil Nadu relies on wind energy Read more
- Russia ready to discuss oil-price bands, output cuts with OPEC Read more