Power News We love to talk!
The Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) has prepared a proposal for building 12 nuclear reactors to ramp up power generation in the country.
In a written response to a question in Rajya Sabha, Jitendra Singh, Minister of State in the Prime Minister's Office said, of the 12, 10 reactors will be indigenous Pressurised Heavy Water Reactors (PHWR) while the other two will be Light Water Reactors (LWRs) of Kundakulam units 5 and 6 of 1,000 MW each. The DAE comes under the PMO.
"These are presently under consideration of the government for accord of administrative approval and financial sanction," Singh said.
In reference to Kavali in Andhra Pradesh, the proposed site of a nuclear power park earmarked for Russian companies, Singh said some sections of locals and certain groups have expressed apprehensions about safety of the nuclear power plants and loss of their traditional means of livelihood.
He said, an extensive public outreach programme to spread awareness about the nuclear power has been instituted. "At present, the Site Selection Committee of the government is exploring the possibility of identifying a suitable coastal site in Andhra Pradesh for locating nuclear power plants with Russian cooperation.
"The government of Andhra Pradesh had given its consent to carry out technical studies required to identify potential coastal sites for locating nuclear power plants in the state," Singh added. In response to another question, he said the Atomic Directorate for Exploration and Research (AMD) has identified Gogi-Kanchankai area in Yadhir district of Karnataka and it is under the evaluation of DAE.
Singh also added that the DAE had filed for 40 patents in the last five years and nine were granted to them.
In response to another question, Singh said, on January 16, India formally became a member of CERN (the European Organization for Nuclear Research), which derives the acronym from its french name and is the world's largest nuclear and particle physics laboratory.
- City in Gujarat gets countrys first certified green police station building Read more
- RIL invites tenders to develop deepwater oil and gas blocks Read more
- French power major EDF plans $2 billion green bet on India Read more
- Urban grime foils Narendra Modi's solar power ambitions Read more
- US launches new trade action against India over solar power programme Read more
- Centre allows flexibility in power supplies to lower costs to consumers Read more
- GST on power equipment to cost Tamil Nadu power discomRs 500 crore Read more
- TS Genco set to add 2,500 MW by March Read more
- Passed benefits of lower power tariff worth Rs 683 cr to discoms: NLC Read more
- APERC approves APEPDCLs petition to implement agricultural DSM project Read more