Power News We love to talk!
Mumbai Mayor Vishwanath Mahadeshwar has said that employees of the Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport (BEST) undertaking will receive their salaries from March 21.
Mr. Mahadeshwar said that 31,000 employees of Grades 3 and 4 will receive their salaries on March 21, while 11,000 officers will receive their salaries on March 22. The announcement was made following a joint meeting of senior officials of BEST and the municipal corporation called by the Mayor.
No word on source
However, Mr. Mahadeshwar refused to give an exact source of funding for the Rs. 185 crore needed to pay the salaries. He said the salaries would be paid from BEST’s funds. He also said an action plan would be drafted within a week to resolve the BEST’s financial problems.
‘State help welcome’
When asked if the State government’s help would be sought for bailing out the BEST, the Mayor said while State help was welcome, the BMC and BEST were capable of sorting out their own problems. The BEST, which is facing huge losses, had sought bank loans to pay the salaries for the month of February.
- Cairn surrenders block in Kerala-Konkan region Read more
- Don’t invest in Haldia Petro, ministry tells Indian Oil Read more
- India and Russia hold major consultation to set up 22 nuclear power projects in India Read more
- Oil marketing companies eye higher savings by raising exposure to spot crude Read more
- 7 temples get solar power units Read more
- Four directors on IOC board appointed in UPA regime sacked Read more
- Cancel projects given to Chinese companies, demand local power firms Read more
- NTPC gets Greentech Safety Award Read more
- Rupee strengthens as lower oil prices help curb deficit Read more
- ONGC stake sale: Govt seeks bids from investment banks Read more