Power News We love to talk!
Mumbai Mayor Vishwanath Mahadeshwar has said that employees of the Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport (BEST) undertaking will receive their salaries from March 21.
Mr. Mahadeshwar said that 31,000 employees of Grades 3 and 4 will receive their salaries on March 21, while 11,000 officers will receive their salaries on March 22. The announcement was made following a joint meeting of senior officials of BEST and the municipal corporation called by the Mayor.
No word on source
However, Mr. Mahadeshwar refused to give an exact source of funding for the Rs. 185 crore needed to pay the salaries. He said the salaries would be paid from BEST’s funds. He also said an action plan would be drafted within a week to resolve the BEST’s financial problems.
‘State help welcome’
When asked if the State government’s help would be sought for bailing out the BEST, the Mayor said while State help was welcome, the BMC and BEST were capable of sorting out their own problems. The BEST, which is facing huge losses, had sought bank loans to pay the salaries for the month of February.
- H-Energy to sell up to 49% stake in 2 projects Read more
- Non-power play: BHEL to step up focus on solar, rail, water projects Read more
- Coal scam: CBI presses for bribery charge against Naveen Jindal Read more
- Erratic rain, power cuts forcing farmers towards solar-powered pumps Read more
- Coal hill much closer than SoBo knows Read more
- Oil ministry seeks more share in extended production contract Read more
- Kochi to launch first batch of four CNG filling stations next month Read more
- BGR Energy wins Rs 1,573 crore contract Read more
- BCCI signs Letter of Intent with UN Environment Read more
- Power sector stable, says Moody's; ICRA sees mix results for UDAY Read more