Power News We love to talk!
Mumbai Mayor Vishwanath Mahadeshwar has said that employees of the Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport (BEST) undertaking will receive their salaries from March 21.
Mr. Mahadeshwar said that 31,000 employees of Grades 3 and 4 will receive their salaries on March 21, while 11,000 officers will receive their salaries on March 22. The announcement was made following a joint meeting of senior officials of BEST and the municipal corporation called by the Mayor.
No word on source
However, Mr. Mahadeshwar refused to give an exact source of funding for the Rs. 185 crore needed to pay the salaries. He said the salaries would be paid from BEST’s funds. He also said an action plan would be drafted within a week to resolve the BEST’s financial problems.
‘State help welcome’
When asked if the State government’s help would be sought for bailing out the BEST, the Mayor said while State help was welcome, the BMC and BEST were capable of sorting out their own problems. The BEST, which is facing huge losses, had sought bank loans to pay the salaries for the month of February.
- Green activists oppose nuclear plant near Doon Read more
- Piyush Goyal says smart meters a game changer in long run Read more
- Air Pollution claiming a life every 23 seconds in India Read more
- NSA Ajit Doval, Union minister Nirmala Sitharaman & other MPs keen to harness solar energy Read more
- GE proposes to invest Rs. 3,000 cr more in Maharashtra Read more
- Narendra Modi government gives LPG connection under BPCL scheme a Digital India boost to make it available at doorstep Read more
- Tata Motors to bring out LNG-fuelled buses Read more
- 29,000 MW power in three years Read more
- L&T Hydrocarbon bags Rs 894 crore offshore contract from ONGC Read more
- Energy storage sector kicked-up about renewables, micro-grid opportunities Read more