Power News We love to talk!
Installation of a solar panel system to power the Bus Rapid Transit System (BRTS) remains a debatable issue between Pune Municpial Corporation’s (PMC) road and electricity departments. While the road department wants to put in place a solar panel system on three routes for saving energy, the electricity department is not certain about the idea.
The concept of solar power has been taken from the Pune Metro project as Maha-Metro has already declared that solar energy will be used at their stations. PMC has been working on 35 kilometres of BRTS routes in the city. The three routes are Aundh to Shivajinagar, Patil Estate to Harish Bridge and Sangamwadi to PMC. According to the road department, there are a total of 30 bus stations on these three routes.
Dinkar Gojare, who is also in-charge of BRTS, told Mirror, “We have introduced a solar panel system for saving electricity. We have estimated that around Rs 17 crore would be required for solar components. We are trying to get help from the Centre for the initiative.” On the other hand, head of PMC’s electrical department, Shrikrishna Choudhari, said, “BRTS bus stops need more electricity compared to regular stops and streetlights. The automatic doors are operated by motors. We would have to check the area of solar panels, the intensity of sunlight, collection of solar energy and the need of energy to operate the automatic doors, LED displays and TV panel, etc. We cannot use solar energy for the entire bus stop.”
- No occupancy certificate without solar power panel Read more
- Coal India may drop plans to expand into power generation Read more
- Pune hosting wind energy meet today Read more
- Madhucon’s Simhapuri Energy begins Phase I commercial operations Read more
- Top UK smart grid companies exhibit at India Smart Grid Week Read more
- Videocon says consortium discovers new oil in Brazil block Read more
- 'Proposal to allow multiple power suppliers anti-people' Read more
- GMR's Odisha power plant starts operation Read more
- India plans grouping of nations with high solar power potential Read more
- Mytrah Energy plans up to $300 million fundraising Read more