Coal News We love to talk!
Coal India is considering producing petroleum oil at its Chatra coal mine in Jharkhand. Petroleum oil from coal is part of the state-run coal behemoth’s diversification plan and it will soon invite an expression of interest for it, Coal India chairman Sutirtha Bhattacharya told reporters on Saturday. The Chatra mine comes under its subsidiary Central Coalfields.
Oil from coal can be used in automobiles. With crude prices on the rise, it will be a viable option for the company. Having been able to meet most of country’s coal demand, the miner now plans to diversify into related fields to keep its bottom-line healthy.
The company recently invited quotes from technology licensors for converting coal to chemical for a commercial project at Dankuni in West Bengal. The Dankuni project is for a coal-based methanol plant which uses high-quality coal from Eastern Coalfields, another subsidiary of Coal India. Details of the project can only be known after we know what kind of technology is brought to the table by experts, said Bhattacharya.
A few years ago, Coal India had initiated talks with South Africa’s Sasol, a leader in coal-to-liquid (CTL) technology. The project envisaged a minimum investment of Rs10,000 crore and it would entail producing hydrocarbons from coal with modern refineries. The proposal was not pursued and the plan was shelved, Coal India executives said.
Bhattacharya said Coal India has been undertaking initiatives to address quality issues reported by some consumers. This includes adoption of modern mining methods, additional third-party sampling and washing of coal.
The miner has also engaged a consultant to tackle taxation issues arising out of difference between assured coal quality and final delivery.
- ONGC set to create energy giant with control of Hindustan Petroleum Read more
- Delhi HC asks govt to consider Balcos coal mine plea Read more
- Coal scam fallout: securing fuel from CIL becomes simpler Read more
- Decommissioned thermal power units to soon lose their fuel supply Read more
- Govt. redrafting solar policy for generating more power Read more
- NTPL creates record in coal offloading at VOC Port Read more
- 20 per cent of Directorate General of Hydrocarbons officials going back to parent companies Read more
- Cairn India's merger with Vedanta "uncertain", says S&P Read more
- India and Russia discuss direct gas delivery line Read more
- Modi's global solar ties set to brighten with Macron push Read more