Power News We love to talk!
Former New and Renewable Energy Secretary Upendra Tripathy has been appointed as the full-time interim Director General of International Solar Alliance.
"Piyush Goyal, Union Minister for Power, Coal, New and Renewable Energy and Mines, and Ms Segolene Royal, Minister for Environment, Energy and Marine Affairs, Government of France, jointly decided to appoint Upendra Tripathy, as the Interim Director General (IDG) of the International Solar Alliance (ISA) on a full-time basis.
Tripathy was secretary Ministry of New and Renewable Energy from April 1, 2014 until October 31, 2016. Tripathy is an Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer of Karnataka Cadre. He has worked with local, provincial and union governments in India for the last 36 years.
The International Solar Alliance (ISA) was launched on November 30, 2015 as a coalition of the solar resource rich countries jointly by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and French President Francois Hollande in the presence of the then UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon on the first day of the Paris Climate Conference or CoP21.
The ISA's mission and vision is to provide a dedicated platform for cooperation among solar resource rich countries where the global community including bilateral and multilateral organisations, corporates, industry, and stakeholders can make a positive contribution to assist and help achieve the common goals of increasing use of the solar energy in meeting energy needs of prospective ISA member countries in a safe, convenient, affordable, equitable and sustainable manner.
On January 25, 2016, Modi and Hollande jointly laid the foundation stone of the ISA headquarters and inaugurated the Interim Secretariat of the ISA at the National Institute of Solar Energy (NISE) in Gwalpahari, Gurugram.
India shall contribute USD 27 million to the ISA for creating corpus, building infrastructure and recurring expenditure over 5-year duration.
- SCCL solar power plant to come up in Ramagundam Read more
- Coal secretary Sushil Kumar bats for clean mining in production strategy Read more
- Piyush Goyal tells Coal India to stick to fuel pact commitments to gencos Read more
- Renewable Energy will reach 49 percent in India by 2040: Report Read more
- Tenants must get power subsidy: Satyendar Jain Read more
- OVL-OIL offers $5 bn for 20% in Africa gas field Read more
- NTPC boiler burst as staff fixed snag: Probe Read more
- Oil ministry cracks whip on hardship allowances for ONGC, OIL executives Read more
- Hyderabad to tap rooftop solar potential Read more
- Iran said to cut discounts on oil sales to Indias state-run refiners MRPL, Indian Oil Corp Read more