Power News We love to talk!
The Rewa Ultra Mega Solar (RUMS) park could turn out to be a game-changer in renewable energy in India. Soon after bids were cleared for the 750MW project, the railways approached the MP government to set up a Rewa-type solar plant, and even Coal India and oil firms are eyeing green energy, Manu Shrivastav, the principal secretary for new and renewable energy, told TOI on Wednesday.
“After the Delhi Metro, Indian Railways is in talks with MP Government for setting up a solar power station on the lines of RUMS project. The plant may be of 700-800 MW capacity and is likely to be developed in Shajapur district of MP,” he said, adding: “Everything will be similar to Rewa project, only that Delhi Metro will be replaced by railways. Discussions are on and it’s likely to be finalized.”
The 750MW Rewa project has added a new dimension to energy consumption in the country, he remarked. Besides powering trains of Indian Railways and Delhi Metro, Madhya Pradesh is in talks with Noida Metro and will set up a Rewa-like solar plant in MP’s Agar district, the IITian-turned-bureaucrat said. Land for the projects in Shajapur and Agar have nearly been identified, said sources. Even Coal India that supplies to all thermal power stations of the country has approached Madhya Pradesh Urja Vikas Nigam to set up a solar power plant. “It is needed for internal power use of Coal India,” Shrivastav said.
There’s more. An MoU for a joint venture has been signed between Indian Oil Corporation, Oil India and Madhya Pradesh Urja Vikas Nigam where the oil firms will pump in capital and the solar power produced will be utilized for captive consumption by both companies and their sister concerns. The project is likely to be developed in Chhatarpur district of Madhya Pradesh.
Madhya Pradesh Urja Vikas Nigam has teamed up with Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI) to form Rewa Ultra Mega Solar Limited. The power purchase agreements were signed on April 17, with the ultra-low tariff of Rs 2.97 per unit triggering a sensation in green energy circles. According to the agreement, 24% of the power produced at Rewa will be sold to Delhi Metro Rail Corporation and the rest will be used by Madhya Pradesh discoms.
- Installed solar capacity crosses 8,500 MW: Mercom Read more
- Adani plans 1,000-Mw solar park in Tamil Nadu Read more
- Reliance Industries slaps arbitration notice on government over $1.55 bn demand: Dharmendra Pradhan Read more
- Govt to promote solar powered charkhas, rickshaws under off-grid solar scheme Read more
- ABB India rolls out first 800 kV converter transformer Read more
- Govt mulls central transmission entity Read more
- Approval of panel for appointment as Independent Directors on the Board of IEX Read more
- Confusion over customs duty blindsides solar energy firms Read more
- Oil PSUs defer petrol price hike, demand more from govt Read more
- Tamil Nadu to get 500 MW solar power plants at 2,170 cr Read more