Coal News We love to talk!
The threat by petroleum dealers to shut down pumps on Sundays will be dealt with according to measures necessary to maintain supplies of essential commodities, the Centre said on Wednesday.
"We have just now been made aware of this decision by the petroleum dealers through media reports," a senior Petroleum Ministry source said when queried about the dealers' decision to shut fuel bunks every Sunday starting May 14 to protest the public sector oil companies' failure to hike dealer margins.
The decision will cover Haryana, Maharashtra and the entire southern region -- Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Tamil Nadu, Kerala as well as Puducherry.
"We have to wait and see how this measure impacts on the ground... because petroleum products are classed essential commodities and the Essential Commodities Act (ECA) can be applied depending on the circumastances," the source said.
Dealers' body representatives told the media on Tuesday that their decision was in line with Prime Minister Narendra Modi's recent call to save petrol and diesel.
Petroleum Minister Dharmendra Pradhan, who was in Jaipur on Tuesday to witness the MoU signing for construction of a refinery in Rajasthan by state-run Hindustan Petroleum, is expected to assess the possible fallout of the dealers' decision here on Wednesday.
- Mundra plant: Tata Power may not get relief any time soon Read more
- Government defends decline in oil output by Imperial Energy Read more
- Draft norms on fuel efficiency for heavy vehicles by 1 April: Dharmendra Pradhan Read more
- Anti-dumping duty should not hurt power firms, says Fortum India MD Read more
- Kerosene Shortage: Karnataka delegation to meet Union minister Read more
- MNRE to hold stakeholders meet on 1,000 MW wind power auction Read more
- CERC bails out Tata Power, states may challenge order Read more
- Indian Oil Corporation to set up Rs 600 crore plant for ethanol production Read more
- BPCL arm strikes oil in Brazil, again Read more
- Lapses by GAIL led to pipeline fire in Andhra Pradesh last year: Regulator Read more