Coal News We love to talk!
Tamil scholar, activist and president of Gandhiya Makkal Iyakkam, M Thamizha ruvi Mani an faulted the Centre for using Tamil Nadu as 'testing ground for the projects harmful to environment and people'.He had moved Madras high court to cancel the hydrocarbon exploration in Neduvasal region.
The first bench of Chief Justice Indira Banerjee and Justice M Sundar, before which the PIL, came up for admission on Monday, posted the matter to June 8, 2017 for further hearing.
Manian said the award of hydrocarbon exploration project to a company -Gem Laboratories Pvt Ltd of Bengaluru -in which a former MP and former union minister G M Siddeshwara had a direct connection -was a clear case of violation of breach of privilege and misuse of public office. Wife of the former union minister for civil aviation and heavy industries and public enterprises had 19.66% share and she was a director in the company, Manian said, adding that the ex-minister's brothers too had shares in the company.
Also, in violation of a catena of Supreme Court judgments that such bids should be awarded only through public tender and not through e-bid, the project was awarded to Gem without fair and transparent procedure.
He said ONGC wells in Cauvery delta region had an adverse impact on farming activities, and the Centre was indifferent in its approval of the hydrocarbon extraction schemes. “It is evident that the [Centre] targets Tamil Nadu and uses it as testing ground for projects harmful to the environment and people,“ he said.
Manian said the Centre would disown the Neduvasal project in case of emergency and it would result in water scarcity, air pollution and adverse effects on soil.
- Tamil Nadu: TANGEDCO Tariff order FY-14: Key Highlights Read more
- Westinghouse in talks with India for six nuclear power reactors Read more
- R-Infra gains as construction biz get a boost, EPC order book triples Read more
- Panel on UMPP bidding submits first part of report Read more
- High-tech system for power transmission soon Read more
- Oil min overrules DGH, allows RIL to retain 3 prized KG-D6 gas fields Read more
- Steep fall in wind power installations in first half of FY18 Read more
- Trade body moots gas-based power plants for region Read more
- BPCL, ONGC pip Reliance in overseas fundraising Read more
- Madhya Pradesh to derive Rs 17,515 crore net benefit from UDAY Read more