Power News We love to talk!
Adding to the existing Salem Corporation’s financial woes, the electricity consumption charges for 2016-17 stood at Rs. 39,95,51,000 which is an increase of Rs. 10 crore when compared to 2015-16.
The Corporation that has four zones covering 60 wards incurs electricity bill through street lights, buildings and drinking water schemes.
The total length of the Corporation roads is 848.63 km. of which tar-topped road is 758.85 km., 12.80 km. gravel road, 5.78 km. cement road and 19.20 km. mud road. A total of 32,211 lights were present, including 2,291 lights in offices, for which the civic body incurs the bill.
Officials said that the consumption charges for the year 2016-17 includes, Rs. 11.27 crore for street lights, Corporation buildings and operating motors in over head tanks, Rs. 5.03 crore for Salem – Mettur (Nangavalli) Water Scheme and Rs. 23.64 crore for operating the Mettur – Salem Dedicated Water Supply Scheme.
Officials said that conversion of street lights into light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs has reduced the power consumption charges in the past two years. But due to installing of more street lights in the expanded areas, the consumption charges had gone up. “A Rs. 24.77-crore project is being implemented by which 19,761 lights were converted as LED bulbs and work is on to convert 10,174 bulbs into LED bulbs to reduce electricity consumption”, they added.
Currently, the Corporation receives 10 million litres per day (MLD) of water through the old scheme and 103 MLD through the dedicated water supply scheme. “Power consumption by operating these two schemes stands at Rs. 29 crore every year”, they added.
Once the Phase II of the water scheme is commissioned and the four treatment plants are functional, the electricity bill would further go up, they added.
- Lanco expects pending SEB payments in 6 mths Read more
- Sort out power procurement issues: Goyal to States Read more
- Government should review auction process of solar power projects, say industry experts Read more
- Panel suggests 15-point action plan to link renewable energy to electricity grid Read more
- UPERC extends bid process timelines of Case1 bidding process and procurement of rest of the requisitioned capacity of 6000 MW base load power Read more
- Will customise power solutions for states, says Centre Read more
- ABB to install solar-based microgrid at Vadodara facility Read more
- Tata Power pays R68.4-lakh remuneration to Ratan Tata Read more
- Coalscam: CBI to file further probe report by August 29 Read more
- IT parks, schools, hospitals opt out of grid, embrace green energy for power Read more