Power News We love to talk!
Reduction in tax rate on domestic coal will provide a relief in the cost of power generation even after accounting for an increase in capital cost due to higher tax rates in boiler, turbine, generator segment, research and ratings agency ICRA said today.
The GST Council earlier this month placed domestic coal under the 5 per cent tax slab under the Goods and Services Tax (GST) while imported coal will continue to attract basic customs duty (BCD).
“It is estimated to provide relief in variable cost of generation by about 3-4 paise per unit in case of domestic coal. However, the variable cost of generation for imported coal generators would increase by 7 paise per unit,” the report said.
Given that the tax slab for coal varied from 11 to 12 per cent, it will lead to a positive impact for domestic coal users and a negative for imported coal users according to ICRA. On the other hand, for the wind energy sector, the impact of GST is marginally negative due to increase in capital cost -- higher tax rates in wind turbine generator—as the wind energy sector has been availing various concessional rates and tax exemptions, the report added.
According to ICRA, there will be a marginally negative impact on Boiler, turbine and generator equipment for thermal power projects for which GST would be applicable at the rate of 18 per cent. “Overall impact including for balance of plant equipment and GST on service component is estimated to increase the capital cost for imported BTG based projects by 2 per cent,” the report said.
As per the government’s notification, BCD would also continue for imported components. ICRA report stated its impact would vary depending on the Value Added Tax (VAT) rate applicable in a state and the mix of imported equipment.
- Only 21% power MoUs inked in investors meet materialised: Gujarat Read more
- Reliance Power, CERC spar over launch of commercial operations at Sasan project Read more
- Coal India Limited likely to offer about 138 mt of coal in various e-auctions in FY18 Read more
- India records highest-ever renewable energy generation Read more
- EOW sends notices to freeze assets of Birla Power Solutions Read more
- Chinas GCL and Mysun partner for Indias rooftop solar retail play Read more
- Government forms panel for policy on coal reject disposal Read more
- TN to finalise solar energy policy soon Read more
- India's power generation challenges highlighted at SA meet Read more
- All future transmission projects may be put up for private participation Read more