Power News We love to talk!
Reduction in tax rate on domestic coal will provide a relief in the cost of power generation even after accounting for an increase in capital cost due to higher tax rates in boiler, turbine, generator segment, research and ratings agency ICRA said today.
The GST Council earlier this month placed domestic coal under the 5 per cent tax slab under the Goods and Services Tax (GST) while imported coal will continue to attract basic customs duty (BCD).
“It is estimated to provide relief in variable cost of generation by about 3-4 paise per unit in case of domestic coal. However, the variable cost of generation for imported coal generators would increase by 7 paise per unit,” the report said.
Given that the tax slab for coal varied from 11 to 12 per cent, it will lead to a positive impact for domestic coal users and a negative for imported coal users according to ICRA. On the other hand, for the wind energy sector, the impact of GST is marginally negative due to increase in capital cost -- higher tax rates in wind turbine generator—as the wind energy sector has been availing various concessional rates and tax exemptions, the report added.
According to ICRA, there will be a marginally negative impact on Boiler, turbine and generator equipment for thermal power projects for which GST would be applicable at the rate of 18 per cent. “Overall impact including for balance of plant equipment and GST on service component is estimated to increase the capital cost for imported BTG based projects by 2 per cent,” the report said.
As per the government’s notification, BCD would also continue for imported components. ICRA report stated its impact would vary depending on the Value Added Tax (VAT) rate applicable in a state and the mix of imported equipment.
- ONGC to invest Rs78,000crore in KG basin, signs deal with Andhra Pradesh Read more
- AP eyes 500 Mw solar power Read more
- BHEL inks three strategic pacts in Kazakhstan Read more
- IEA terms India's plan to become energy independent as ambitious Read more
- Indian Oil to raise Rs700 crore via bonds to fund Ennore LNG terminal Read more
- Power grid failure: World's biggest blackout points at years of neglect of power sector Read more
- Madhya Pradesh to provide state guarantee for 750 Mw Rewa ultra mega solar project Read more
- Power players want cut in AT&C losses as 250 BU power supplied is unbilled Read more
- India to benefit as oil prices fall more after China devalues Yuan Read more
- JSERC hears Tata Power's petition on revised additional revenue requirement Read more