Power News We love to talk!
The capacity of the Southern Grid is going to be doubled in the next three years, according to Piyush Goyal, Minister of State (Independent Charge) of Coal, Power, Renewable Energy and Mines.
Addressing a press briefing highlighting the performance of his ministries over the past three years, Goyal said, “The government is working towards doubling the capacity of the Southern Grid in the next three years and it will be increased by four times in the next six years”.
The government aims to increase South India’s 3400 MW transmission capacity to 10000 MW by 2018-19 and to 18000 MW by 2019-20.
Reviving stressed projects
Goyal said that the government is working towards reviving stalled and stressed thermal and hydro power projects. “We are close to resolving stressed thermal power projects where developers are not wilful defaulters,” he added.
On Coal India, he said that it is going to set up 1 GW of solar energy power project, which will subsequently be ramped up to 10 GW. Goyal also said that power PSUs are working towards sourcing all their auxiliary power generation through renewable energy sources.
On May 21, BusinessLine reported that the government is looking at means to aid the solar equipment manufacturing industry after facing flak at the World Trade Organisation. As a part of the aid measures, NTPC may be mandated to meet its entire auxiliary power requirement through domestically manufactured solar equipment.
In response to queries on the Adani Carmichael Coal project, Goyal said that the government is not in favour of importing coal.
However, since there are thermal power projects conceived during the previous regime that run on imported coal, the influx to the country continues. Goyal also said that the Uttar Pradesh government may follow Gujarat and set up offices to check and penalise those indulging in power theft.
- Domestic natural gas output continues to fall Read more
- Biomass power producers seek Govt support Read more
- Coal supply to power sector up 6 per cent at 370 MT in Apr-Feb Read more
- Tata Powers power generation up 6.5% at 11,663 mn units Read more
- Power producers GMR, Torrent, GVK, others in fierce bidding for gas subsidy Read more
- Govt keen to promote electric vehicles: Babul Supriyo Read more
- NIT-Karnataka goes green, to have 1 MW rooftop solar plant Read more
- Coal position at thermal power plants continue to be critical Read more
- Solar mission: Govt to turn 20,000 jobless graduates into entrepreneurs Read more
- India, US officials meet to increase collaboration in energy Read more