Power News We love to talk!
The capacity of the Southern Grid is going to be doubled in the next three years, according to Piyush Goyal, Minister of State (Independent Charge) of Coal, Power, Renewable Energy and Mines.
Addressing a press briefing highlighting the performance of his ministries over the past three years, Goyal said, “The government is working towards doubling the capacity of the Southern Grid in the next three years and it will be increased by four times in the next six years”.
The government aims to increase South India’s 3400 MW transmission capacity to 10000 MW by 2018-19 and to 18000 MW by 2019-20.
Reviving stressed projects
Goyal said that the government is working towards reviving stalled and stressed thermal and hydro power projects. “We are close to resolving stressed thermal power projects where developers are not wilful defaulters,” he added.
On Coal India, he said that it is going to set up 1 GW of solar energy power project, which will subsequently be ramped up to 10 GW. Goyal also said that power PSUs are working towards sourcing all their auxiliary power generation through renewable energy sources.
On May 21, BusinessLine reported that the government is looking at means to aid the solar equipment manufacturing industry after facing flak at the World Trade Organisation. As a part of the aid measures, NTPC may be mandated to meet its entire auxiliary power requirement through domestically manufactured solar equipment.
In response to queries on the Adani Carmichael Coal project, Goyal said that the government is not in favour of importing coal.
However, since there are thermal power projects conceived during the previous regime that run on imported coal, the influx to the country continues. Goyal also said that the Uttar Pradesh government may follow Gujarat and set up offices to check and penalise those indulging in power theft.
- Power min to assist cos to take up R&D initiatives Read more
- Coal #PwC#coal production#coal mining#Coal India Summit Rs 10 lakh crore investments needed for 1.5 bn tonne coal output: Report Read more
- How Minister Pradhan can leverage a crude oil rally Read more
- First time in 7 years: Diesel price likely to come down as brent crude slips below $100 Read more
- Iran says SCI tanker detention `purely technical issue' Read more
- N Sarat Singh appointed Member, JERC for Manipur and Mizoram Read more
- ReNew Power to maintain its lead in green energy, but with caution Read more
- Coal India shone like a diamond under BJP rule Read more
- Goa's energy sector gets Rs162cr central sanction Read more
- Natural gas price far below average production cost: ICRA Read more