Coal News We love to talk!
The government on Wednesday replaced the New Exploration and Licensing Policy with the Open Acreage Licensing (OAL) under the framework of Hydrocarbon Exploration and Licensing Policy (HELP). This replaces the controversial profit model in petroleum with a revenue share model.
OAL will allow investors looking for exploring hydrocarbons to select blocks after studying the data available through the national data repository without waiting for a formal bid round from the government.
Investors will have the option to carve out an area of their choice and submit the expression of interest for reconnaissance or petroleum operations contract. DGH will finalise the block and invite bidding biannually. Other companies can submit online and physical bids, following which bids will be evaluated and final contract will be awarded.
Union petroleum minister Dharmendra Pradhan said, "We expect OAL to accelerate exploration activity in the country."
The reconnaissance contract will be for two year extendable by one year as against the petroleum operations contract which will have exploration period of eight to 10 years and contract period of 20 years. For a given area, EOI for petroleum operations contract would be preferred over reconnaissance contract.
Companies can identify stretches through the National Data Repository (NDR) which was unveiled today. In the current round, 2.7 million square kilometres is being offered.
Nine rounds of NELP has attracted $40 billion investment so far. According to Pradhan, the total oil and gas production from NELP, however, is equivalent to just three days of oil consumption.
- Indian Oil lays down its energy plans for the Amravati capital region Read more
- Govt mulls central transmission entity Read more
- Pudimadaka project: NTPC awaits coal linkage to start work Read more
- Essar Group eyes Rs 600-crore turnover from CBM in FY19 Read more
- Oil prices to spike with OPEC output cut, says oil minister Pradhan Read more
- Time to push petro-product pricing reform Read more
- Cairn India: The lure of production increase Read more
- TAPI project: India pushes for early appointment of consortium leader Read more
- Major oil refiners may find it hard to close books for Q4 Read more
- Gas migration case: RIL initiates arbitration against govt Read more