Power News We love to talk!
The rise in wind power generation has brought down the quantum of thermal power generation in Tuticorin Thermal Power Station (TTPS) in recent days.
The energy provided by wind power was beyond 3,000 MW in Tamil Nadu and it has contributed much to meet the power demand of the State. To utilise the wind energy, which is cheaper in production, two units of TTPS have been kept on standby, sources told The Hindu here on Sunday.
While the fifth unit, with its capacity of 210 MW, suspended generation on Friday, the third unit with the same capacity, halted its generation on Saturday. After completing overhauling works, the first unit of this plant had started power generation since July 14. The other three units, with 210 MW capacity each, were now generating power, sources said.
The State's daily average electricity consumption demand is 14,000 MW to 15,000 MW, but it reduced to 12,500 MW over the last few days due to moderate weather as it was not too hot, sources said.
July and August are considered high wind season. The energy sourced from wind turbines was considerably high with a record of 2,700 MW on July 10 under Tangedco’s Tirunelveli Circle of Non-Conventional Energy Source. But being unpredictable the wind energy dropped to 2,200 MW on Saturday, sources said.
Under the Tirunelveli Circle, places like Aralvaimozhi, Shencotta, Muppandal, Kayathar, Eppodhumvendran, Tenkasi, Radhapuram, Vadakkankulam and Kudankulam have a good potential to generate wind energy.
Rainfall caused drop
Rainfall experienced in the northern parts of Tamil Nadu over the last three days caused a drop in wind power generation. However, its generation was expected to peak beyond the recent high of 2,700 MW in coming days, sources said.
- Capacity additions in renewable energy on par with thermal power in 2016-17 Read more
- Temasek-backed Sembcorp set to pump in $600 million in India power arm Read more
- Coal India coal stock increases to 58 MT Read more
- Maharashtra, UP get stiff solar energy targets for 2022 Read more
- SC coal order may hit power tariff & steel output cost, says Icra Read more
- Public notice on draft Long Term Open Access Agreement Read more
- Discoms can raise fresh funds at cheaper rates Read more
- JSW Energy plans Rs 5,000 crore qualified institutional placement issue this fiscal Read more
- India Ratings & Research says draft norms for UMPPs to renew investors interest in the projects Read more
- Tap captive power for public good Read more