Power News We love to talk!
The rise in wind power generation has brought down the quantum of thermal power generation in Tuticorin Thermal Power Station (TTPS) in recent days.
The energy provided by wind power was beyond 3,000 MW in Tamil Nadu and it has contributed much to meet the power demand of the State. To utilise the wind energy, which is cheaper in production, two units of TTPS have been kept on standby, sources told The Hindu here on Sunday.
While the fifth unit, with its capacity of 210 MW, suspended generation on Friday, the third unit with the same capacity, halted its generation on Saturday. After completing overhauling works, the first unit of this plant had started power generation since July 14. The other three units, with 210 MW capacity each, were now generating power, sources said.
The State's daily average electricity consumption demand is 14,000 MW to 15,000 MW, but it reduced to 12,500 MW over the last few days due to moderate weather as it was not too hot, sources said.
July and August are considered high wind season. The energy sourced from wind turbines was considerably high with a record of 2,700 MW on July 10 under Tangedco’s Tirunelveli Circle of Non-Conventional Energy Source. But being unpredictable the wind energy dropped to 2,200 MW on Saturday, sources said.
Under the Tirunelveli Circle, places like Aralvaimozhi, Shencotta, Muppandal, Kayathar, Eppodhumvendran, Tenkasi, Radhapuram, Vadakkankulam and Kudankulam have a good potential to generate wind energy.
Rainfall caused drop
Rainfall experienced in the northern parts of Tamil Nadu over the last three days caused a drop in wind power generation. However, its generation was expected to peak beyond the recent high of 2,700 MW in coming days, sources said.
- Cairn Energy buys stake in Irish blocks Read more
- Power connection to new building Read more
- NTPC-NPCIL joint venture facing legal issues Read more
- Power Ministry to rewire loans for bleeding utilities Read more
- Bangladesh and India sign agreement for joint coal fired power plant Read more
- Essar Group, Rosneft to sign 10-year oil deal: Read more
- Plea against NGT order withdrawn in Kashang Project Read more
- Coal imports fall for sixth straight month in December Read more
- MERC disposes of petition filed by MSEDCL Read more
- Relief for Adani Power in additional SEZ tax case Read more