Power News We love to talk!
The rise in wind power generation has brought down the quantum of thermal power generation in Tuticorin Thermal Power Station (TTPS) in recent days.
The energy provided by wind power was beyond 3,000 MW in Tamil Nadu and it has contributed much to meet the power demand of the State. To utilise the wind energy, which is cheaper in production, two units of TTPS have been kept on standby, sources told The Hindu here on Sunday.
While the fifth unit, with its capacity of 210 MW, suspended generation on Friday, the third unit with the same capacity, halted its generation on Saturday. After completing overhauling works, the first unit of this plant had started power generation since July 14. The other three units, with 210 MW capacity each, were now generating power, sources said.
The State's daily average electricity consumption demand is 14,000 MW to 15,000 MW, but it reduced to 12,500 MW over the last few days due to moderate weather as it was not too hot, sources said.
July and August are considered high wind season. The energy sourced from wind turbines was considerably high with a record of 2,700 MW on July 10 under Tangedco’s Tirunelveli Circle of Non-Conventional Energy Source. But being unpredictable the wind energy dropped to 2,200 MW on Saturday, sources said.
Under the Tirunelveli Circle, places like Aralvaimozhi, Shencotta, Muppandal, Kayathar, Eppodhumvendran, Tenkasi, Radhapuram, Vadakkankulam and Kudankulam have a good potential to generate wind energy.
Rainfall caused drop
Rainfall experienced in the northern parts of Tamil Nadu over the last three days caused a drop in wind power generation. However, its generation was expected to peak beyond the recent high of 2,700 MW in coming days, sources said.
- Coal-based power plants likely to run at 60% capacity utilisation in 2019 Read more
- Adani, others cant sell solar power at higher rate: UPERC Read more
- NTPC plans to become biggest renewable energy company in 10 years Read more
- Biomass-based power producers cry for help Read more
- Indias solar prices set to drop amid competition, lower costs Read more
- Indian Railways: Coal freight revision cost-neutral; analysts say power stations could raise tariff Read more
- TNERC dismisses petition filed by TCP for revising annual committed power Read more
- Poor transmission network chokes power supply by to Rajasthan, Uttar Pradesh & Punjab Read more
- IIEST designs solar panels to charge electric rickshaws on the go Read more
- Coal India hits fresh two-year low Read more