Coal News We love to talk!
With oil explorer ONGC’s acquisition of HPCL now well on track to be completed by this fiscal, the latter’s plans to pick up stakes in upstream fields in Russia will be shelved.
Earlier, an HPCL official had told BusinessLine the company was keen to pick up stakes in Russian oilfields — along with ONGC (through ONGC Videsh Ltd), Oil India, Indian Oil Corporation and Bharat PetroResources (part of BPCL) — in several instalments starting from 2015. The four companies now own 49.9 per cent of Vankorneft, a subsidiary of Russian state-owned oil company Rosneft that owns and operates the Vankor cluster.
The Vankor cluster comprises three small fields — Suzunskoye, Tagulskoye and Lodochnoye — around Vankor in eastern Siberia. It is Rosneft’s second largest field in terms of production and, according to reports, it accounts for about 4 per cent of the country’s annual oil production, pumping out 421,000 barrels of crude a day.
An HPCL official had earlier said the company was looking at picking up stakes in satellite fields in the region and was evaluating opportunities. However, the plan has now changed, with the company being merged with ONGC.
Sumit Pokharna, Deputy Vice-President, Kotak Securities, said: “The merger means ONGC will now focus on the upstream. HPCL’s plans to pick up stakes in oilfields — like other PSU oil marketers — may now be cancelled out.”
- ONGC Tripura unit I to run by month-end Read more
- CIL enters into JV agreement with three firms for Talcher complex Read more
- Petro-chemical complex would be set up in Andhra Pradesh this fiscal: Dharmendra Pradhan Read more
- ONGC Videsh strikes oil in Colombia Read more
- Indian oil refiners import petrol due to refinery outages Read more
- State-owned fuel retailers appeal to dealers not to go on strike Read more
- Have not taken stand on Vedanta-Cairn merger: United India Insurance Read more
- Reliance Industries Ltd. serves arbitration notice to government on ONGC gas dispute Read more
- RGPPL rejects MahaVitaran's move to terminate PPA for Dabhol power purchase Read more
- Vijay Kelkar wants existing regime for oil contracts Read more